Steele Scores Twice in Victory
CHESTERTOWN, Md. — The host Washington College field hockey team scored four times in the first half, including three times in a span of 6:36, en route to a 5-0 Centennial Conference win over visiting Swarthmore this afternoon on Kibler Field at Roy Kirby, Jr. Stadium.
Washington College 5, Swarthmore 0
How It Happened
- The Shorewomen's first goal came just 7:28 into the game when Grace Steele redirected a blast sent in the air from the top of the circle by Kailyn Brandt during a penalty corner.
- Brandt scored a goal of her own just 3:07 later with a powerful shot from the middle of the circle off a pass from Emily Pantazes.
- The lead grew to 3-0 just 3:29 after that when Olivia Auer scored off an assist from Maggie Cancelmo.
- Washington tacked on its fourth goal of the game with 13:32 left in the half when Steele scored off an Auer assist during a penalty corner.
- The Shorewomen's fifth goal came off the stick of Nicole Schroyer, who sent in a hard shot after receiving an insert of a corner sent by Emily Pantazes.
For the Shorewomen (6-5, 4-1 Centennial Conference)
- Scorers: Steele (2 goals), Brandt (goal, assist), Auer (goal, assist), Schroyer (goal), E. Pantazes (2 assists), Cancelmo (assist)
- Goalkeeper: Morgan Domanico (1 saves, 0 goals allowed, 56:35), Kayla Zapcic (0 saves, 0 goals allowed, 13:25)
- The Shorewomen held a 20-3 advantage in shots and a 14-6 advantage in penalty corners in the game.
For Swarthmore (6-5, 1-4 Centennial Conference)
- Scorers: none
- Goalkeeper: Zelda Bank (6 saves, 5 goals allowed, 70:00)
- With the win, the Shorewomen matched their win total from all of last season, when they finished the year 6-11.
- The Shorewomen are off to a 4-1 start in Centennial Conference play for the first time since 2011.
- Steele was named the Goose Nation TV Shorewomen Player of the Game on the game's webcast.
Up Next for the Shorewomen
10/7 @ Dickinson - 11:00 a.m. (Centennial Conference game)