Dixon scores team high 13 points
CARLISLE, Pa. — Host Dickinson got a career high 25 points from Bryce Allen and held off a late rally from visiting Washington College en route to a 78-64 win in a Centennial Conference men's basketball game played this afternoon at the Kline Center in Carlisle, Pennsylvania. It was also the season finale for the Shoremen.
Dickinson 78, Washington College 64
How It Happened
- Dickinson started off by taking a quick 5-0 lead and took a double digit lead for the first time at 15-5 following an Allen three pointer with 14:10 to play in the opening half.
- Nick Schmelzer hit a three to cut the lead to 15-8, but the Red Devils responded with an 8-1 run to take a 23-9 lead with 12:01 to go in the opening half.
- Dickinson led 31-17 following a Moses Romocki jump shot with 7:35 to go in the half, but the Shoremen closed the half by outscoring the Red Devils 15-7 to cut the Dickinson lead to 38-32 at halftime. Tas Dixon got the Shoremen back to within four points with a layup with 1:03 to play in the half, before a layup from Michael Jurzynski 11 seconds later provided the halftime score.
- The Shoremen scored the first four points of the second half to cut the Dickinson lead to 38-36 following a Dixon layup with 19:14 to go, but Dickinson responded with a 12-2 run, capped by a Justus Melton layup, to push the lead back to double digits at 50-38 with 15:39 to go.
- Dickinson led 64-51 with 7:34 to go before the Shoremen went on a 6-0 run, capped by a pair of Alec Lewis free throws, to cut the Red Devils lead to 64-57 with 5:28 to go.
- Dickinson quieted the rally by pushing the lead to 74-60 with 2:30 to go after a pair of Mike Hinckley free throws. The lead stayed between 10 and 14 points over the last 2:30 of the game.
For the Shoremen (7-18, 3-15 Centennial Conference)
- Dixon (13 points, game high four steals), Austin Allen (12 points), James Drury (nine points, four rebounds), Schmelzer (9 points).
- The Shoremen shot 37% from the floor, 33.3% from beyond the three point arc, and 78.3% at the free throw line.
- Washington outscored Dickinson 28-11 in bench points.
For Dickinson (15-10, 12-6 Centennial Conference)
- Allen (career high 25 points), Melton (17 points, game high eight rebounds), Romocki (14 points, six rebounds), Hinckley (game high five assists).
- The Red Devils shot 53.3% from the floor, 33.3% from beyond the three point arc, and 67.5% from the free throw line.
- The Red Devils held a 32-28 advantage in rebounds and outscored the Shoremen in the paint, 40-24.
- The Shoremen's seven wins overall and three Centennial Conference wins are both improvements from last season, when the team won three games overall and one game in Centennial action.
- The seven wins for the Shoremen this year also mark the most wins in a season for the program since the 2011-2012 team went 14-13 and advanced to the Centennial Conference semifinals.
- Today was the final game in a Shoremen uniform for Drury and Bryan Shapiro. It was also the final game for Student Assistant Austin Murphy, who started his career as a player for the Shoremen, and Samantha Goldrich, who managed the program for four years.