Bears Bite Shoremen, 9-8

Bears Bite Shoremen, 9-8

Herdegen Scores Three Goals in Loss

CHESTERTOWN, MD -- Visiting Ursinus College knocked off host Washington College, 9-8, in a Centennial Conference men's lacrosse game tonight on Kibler Field at Roy Kirby, Jr. Stadium. The Bears remained unbeaten at 7-0 overall and 4-0 in conference play with the win, while the Shoremen fell to 3-4 and 1-2.

Neither team scored until 1:22 remained in the first quarter when Jeff Ocampo found Eric Farris to give Ursinus a 1-0 lead. The Shoremen evened things up 28 seconds later when junior midfielder Doug Herdegen (Baltimore, MD/Archbishop Curley) scored.

Washington took its only lead of the game 1:05 into the second quarter when freshman midfielder Patrick Coyle (Reisterstown, MD/Calvert Hall) scored. Dan Monzo evened things up for the Bears with a goal at 9:29 and Ursinus regained the lead on a David Kraus goal off an assist from Pat Gillen with 6:02 left before halftime. The Shoremen tied the game at 3-3 with 2:33 on the clock as Herdegen found junior midfielder Shane Kaski (Mosley, VA/Midlothian) for a score.

The Bears scored 35 seconds into the third quarter as Monzo found Kraus for an extra-man goal. The score remained 4-3 until 5:02 showed on the clock in the third as Ocampo scored off an assist from Tom Walsh to give the Bears one of just two two-goal leads on the night. The Shoremen scored twice before the quarter ended, however, to even the score at 5-5. Coyle scored an extra-man goal off an assist from sophomore attackman Billy Stafford (White Hall, MD/Hereford) with 4:04 left and Herdegen scored the equalizer 24 seconds later.

Ursinus pulled ahead, 6-5, 56 seconds into the fourth quarter as Ocampo again scored off a Walsh assist. Sophomore attackman Dominic Serio (Finksburg, MD/Mount St. Joseph) fired in a goal for Washington with 13:37 to go after cutting from near the endline to a tough angle in front of the goal. A goal by Farris off a Jake West assist again put the Bears in front, this time at 7-6, with 6:43 remaining. The Shoremen again responded as freshman midfielder Bennett Cord (Gaithersburg, MD/Gaithersburg) netted a goal with 6:02 on the clock to even the score at 7-7.

An Ocampo goal with 5:29 left put the Bears ahead for good at 8-7, but it was the play on the ensuing face-off that clearly gave the Bears the momentum. Mike Bloom won the face-off for Ursinus on a procedure call and quickly raced up the field on the restart and found Kraus for a goal to make it 9-7 with 5:24 to go. Washington cut the lead to 9-8 when freshman defenseman Jonny Poe (Coronado, CA/Coronado) intercepted an Ursinus pass and ran up the field to find Herdegen for a score with 3:54 remaining, trimming the margin to 9-8. The Shoremen got the ball back in the offensive end late in the game, calling timeout with 18 seconds to play. A shot by Herdegen was saved and sent out of bounds by Ursinus goalie T.J. Magnani with 7.9 seconds to go. Washington retained possession, but a Coyle shot was saves by Magnani with two seconds left. Magnani fired the ball into the air to run out the clock as the Bears held on for the win.

Ocampo led Ursinus with three goals and one assist, while Kraus fired in three goals of his own. Farris added a pair of goals, Monzo had one goal and one assist, and Walsh had two assists. Magnani made nine saves for the Bears, with seven of them coming in the fourth quarter. Bloom was 10-for-16 on face-offs for Ursinus with eight ground balls.

Herdegen paced the Shoremen with three goals and an assist, while Coyle had a pair of goals. Sophomore goalie Peter Stewart (Annapolis, MD/St. Mary's) made eight saves in the loss. Poe and sophomore defenseman Bryan Botti (Hereford, MD/Hereford) each recorded a game-high three caused turnovers.

Washington held a 34-31 edge in shots in the game, while Ursinus maintained a 32-22 advantage in ground balls.

The Shoremen return to action Saturday with a 3:00 p.m. Centennial Conference game at 13th-ranked Haverford.