Barbieri Scores Three Goals, Assists on Another in Loss
LEXINGTON, Va. — Host Washington and Lee held visiting Washington College to a single goal and just 10 shots during the second half of an 8-6 non-conference men's lacrosse victory for the Generals (2-1) this afternoon in Lexington, Va. For the Shoremen, the loss came in their season opener.
Washington and Lee 8, Washington College 6
How It Happened
- The Generals scored 13 seconds into the game as Ryan Brady found Sam Dardani for a quick goal. W&L got on the board again with 13:04 left in first as Joe Perrella scored off a Graeme Weaver assist and the lead quickly grew to 3-0 on an A.J. Witherell goal off an assist from Dardani just 85 seconds later.
- The Shoremen scored their first goal with 9:39 to go in the opening quarter as Tanner Barbieri found the back of the net. Barbieri assisted on the next WC goal, scored by Sid Looney, with 5:59 left in the first. The Generals got a goal back, courtesy of Kevin Katzmann, with 4:25 remaining in the quarter, but Barbieri quickly countered off an assist from Tyler Powers 20 seconds later to cut the deficit back to a goal at 4-3 before the end of the quarter.
- As opposed to the early scoring in the opening quarter, neither team scored in the second until the Shoremen tied things up when Pat McManus scored off an assist from Brady O'Neill with 7:51 showing. The Generals regained the lead with 2:41 remaining before halftime on a Christian Zanetis goal. Washington evened the score at 5-5 on a Barbieri goal with 53 seconds remaining in the half. The Shoremen outshot the Generals, 24-11, in the first half.
- Zanetis gave W&L a 6-5 lead with 11:44 to go in the third, but the Shoremen tied things up just 10 seconds later off an Austin Hepburn goal. Neither team scored the remainder of the third quarter as the game remain tied at 6-6 heading into the fourth.
- Weaver gave the Generals a 7-6 lead off a Perrella assist with 13:12 to go in the fourth. Max Huston then increased the W&L lead to two with a goal with 8:22 remaining. That was all the cushion the Generals would need as they held the Shoremen off the board the rest of the game and limited them to two shots in the quarter.
For the Shoremen (0-1)
- Scorers: Barbieri (3 goals, 1 assist), Hepburn (1 goal), Looney (1 goal), McManus (1 goal), O'Neill (1 assist), Powers (1 assist)
- Goalie: Ben Flood (9 saves, 8 goals allowed, 60:00)
- Kyle Gangemi went 11-for-16 on face-offs for the Shoremen.
For Washington and Lee (2-1)
- Scorers: Zanetis (2 goals), Dardani (1 goal, 1 assist), Perrella (1 goal, 1 assist), Weaver (1 goal, 1 assist), Hutson (1 goal), Katzmann (1 goal), Witherell (1 goal), Brady (1 assist).
- Goalie: Wyatt Devine (13 saves, 6 goals allowed, 60:00)
- The Generals took 30 shots in the game, including 19 in the second half.
Up Next for the Shoremen
3/2 v. St. Mary's (Md.) - 4:00 p.m.
- The game against St. Mary's will be the Shoremen's home opener.