Grieves Scores Three Goals; Boyles Adds Two Goals And Two Assists
LEXINGTON, Va. — Host Washington and Lee used a 7-0 run and kept visiting Washington College off the scoreboard for 19:42 en route to an 18-10 victory in a non conference men's lacrosse game played today at Wilson Field in Lexington, Virginia.
Washington and Lee 18, Washington College 10
How It Happened
- The Generals jumped out to an early 2-0 lead before the Shoremen got on the board with 7:55 to go in the opening quarter courtesy of a man-up goal from Casey Grieves off an assist from Tanner Barbieri and tied the game 30 seconds later when Grieves scored his second goal, this time off an assist from Cooper Sloan.
- Washington and Lee would score the next two goals before Sloan scored an unassisted goal with 1:08 to play in the quarter to cap the first quarter with the Generals in front 4-3.
- A man-up goal from Sam Dardani off an A.J. Witherell assist opened the second quarter scoring and gave the Generals a 5-3 lead with 10:13 to go. Nick Boyles scored an unassisted tally with 6:22 to go before Ben Mulholland pushed the lead back to two at 6-4 with 4:57 to go until halftime. Peter Jacobs again cut the lead to one at 6-5 with 4:46 to go until halftime before Dardani scored his second of the game, again assisted by Witherell, to push the lead back to 7-5 with 3:53 to go until halftime.
- Grieves completed his first half hat trick, finishing off a Jacobs assist with 2:11 to go to make it a 7-6 game before Jack Ware again gave the Generals a two goal lead at 8-6, capping the first half with an unassisted goal with 1:16 to go until the half.
- The Generals would take control of the game by scoring all five goals of the third quarter to take a 13-6 lead with 5:52 to go in the third on a man-up goal from Dardani.
- Dardani capped the 7-0 run with his fourth goal of the day, scoring off an assist from Witherell with 14:34 to go in the fourth quarter to put the Generals ahead 14-6..
- Charlie Walker ended the run by scoring off off a Boyles assist with 12:29 to go to make it a 14-7 game. Walker would score again, this time off a Trey Ritter assist, with 11:03 to go to cut the lead to 14-8.
- Cody Pascale scored off a Boyles assist with 8:44 to go to cut the lead to 14-9, but Witherell pushed the lead back to 15-9 on an unassisted goal with 7:37 to go.
- Boyles scored with 6:06 to go to get the Shoremen back within five at 15-10, but the Generals would score the last three goals to provide the final margin.
For the Shoremen (1-1)
- Scorers: Grieves (three goals), Boyles (two goals, two assists), Walker (two goals), Sloan (one goal, one assist), Jacobs (one goal, one assist), Ritter (one assist), Barbieri (one assist).
- Goalie: Ben Flood (16 saves, 18 goals allowed, 60:00).
- The Shoremen were 18-for-21 on clear attempts, including 7-for-7 in the fourth quarter.
- Washington went 1-for-2 on their man-up opportunities, both coming in the first quarter.
For Washington and Lee (1-3)
- Scorers: Dardani (four goals, one assist), A.J. Witherell (three goals, three assists), Taylor Witherell (three goals), Ware (two goals), Veith (two goals, one assist), Mike Weaver (one goal, one assist).
- Goalie: Will Atkins (13 saves, 10 goals allowed, 60:00).
- The Generals outshot the Shoremen 53-34, won the ground ball battle 31-27, and won 18 of the 32 face-offs.
- Washington and Lee went 2-for-3 on their man-up opportunities and were 19-for-20 on their clear attempts
Up Next for the Shoremen
2/28 v. St. Mary's (MD) - 4:00 p.m. (non-conference game)
- The Shoremen defeated the Seahawks 14-8 last season and are 24-0 against St. Mary's in the series history.