Powers Scores Three Times to Lead Shoremen
CHESTERTOWN, Md. – Visiting Swarthmore scored six of the game's final seven goals on its way to a 15-8 win over host Washington College at Kibler Field at Roy Kirby, Jr. Stadium on Wednesday evening in Centennial Conference men's lacrosse action. The Garnet improve to 8-5 overall and 3-4 in the Centennial, while the Shoremen are 8-6 and 3-4 respectively.
Swarthmore 15 Washington College 8
How It Happened
- The Garnet, who never trailed and led 3-2 after one quarter, jumped out to a 6-2 lead with 3:59 left in the second quarter on a goal by Austin Chung.
- Washington would cut the Swarthmore to 6-4 at halftime as Sam Cloud scored after picking up the ground ball off of the face-off with 1:35 left as the Shoremen scored twice in nine seconds.
- The Shoremen took advantage of two Garnet penalties at the end of the first half to trim the lead to 6-5 just 56 seconds into the third quarter as Tyler Powers score on a man-up chance.
- Just 13 seconds after Swarthmore made it 9-6, Tanner Barbieri grabbed the ground ball off of the face-off and scored to trim the lead to 9-7 with 2:33 to go in the third.
- Swarthmore ended the third quarter in transition as Cam Marsh beat the buzzer on a feed from Chang to give the guests a 10-7 edge to enter the fourth.
- The Garnet pulled away in the fourth as they outscored the Shoremen 5-1 for the final margin.
For The Shoremen (8-6, 3-4 CC)
- Scoring: Powers (three goals), Cooper Sloan (one goal and two assists), Peter Jacobs (one goal and one assist)
- In Goal: Ben Flood (60:00, 15 goals allowed, eight saves)
- Washington was 15-for-18 in clears in the contest and was 1-for-3 on the man-up.
- Cloud tied for game-high in ground balls with six.
- Washington had 15 turnovers, while causing six Swarthmore turnovers.
For Swarthmore (8-5, 3-4 CC)
- Scoring: Johns and Marsh (four assists to lead all players to go with two goals), Chang (game-best five goals and one assist), Mason Everts (three goals and one assist), Zander Levitz (two goals and one assist), Jake Ross (one goal and one helper)
- In Goal: Frankie Dillon (60:00, eight goals allowed, 11 saves)
- The Garnet outshot the Shoremen 34-33.
- Jack Belluche (six ground balls to tie for game-high)
- Chang, Johns and Marsh all had six points to lead all players.
- The Garnet were 22-for-24 in clears, 2-for-3 in man-up situations and turned it over 20 times, while notching 10 caused turnovers.
- Swarthmore won 13 of the game's 25 face-offs and held a 28-24 advantage in ground balls.
- Powers was named the Goose Nation TV Shoremen Player of the Game on the webcast.
- Cloud picked up his 150th career ground ball with 1:57 left in the first quarter.
- With the loss, the Shoremen were eliminated from Centennial Conference Tournament contention.
4/28 v. #3 Gettysburg – 12:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference Game)
- Season and home finale.