Junior Scores off Throw from Graham
COLLEGEVILLE, Pa. — Junior midfielder Kyle Gaeffke (Haverford, Pa./Harriton) scored the game's only goal in the 22nd minute to give visiting Washington College a 1-0 Centennial Conference men's soccer win over host Ursinus today in Collegeville, Pa.
Washington College 1, Ursinus 0
How It Happened
- Gaeffke scored off a long throw by Brian Graham at the 21:53 mark.
- A header by Evan Savoth in the 74th and a free kick by James Strine in the 78th minute were both saved by Ursinus goalkeeper Matthew Kenwood to keep the game at 1-0.
- Back-to-back corner kicks for Ursinus around the 80th minute mark failed to produce a scoring chance.
- Kenwood saved a shot by Kevin Sawyer at the 86th minute and D.J. Briggs had a header shot go wide in the 88th for Ursinus. Sawyer had another shot saved by Kenwood in the 89th.
- Ursinus had a corner kick in the 90th minute and Jake Fernandez managed a long shot, but it was well high and the Shoremen held on for the win.
For the Shoremen (3-5, 1-1 Centennial Conference)
- Scorers: Gaeffke (goal), Graham (assist)
- Goalkeeper: Josh Samuels (2 saves, 0 goals allowed, 90:00)
- The Shoremen held a 12-9 advantage in shots in the game.
For Ursinus (2-5, 0-2 Centennial Conference)
- Scorers: none
- Goalkeeper: Brandon Lillian (0 saves, 1 goal allowed, 21:53), Kenwood (5 saves, 0 goals allowed, 68:07)
- The Bears held a 7-5 edge in corner kicks in the game.
Up Next for the Shoremen
9/27 v. Johns Hopkins - 4:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference Game)