Adams Scores Off Strine Assist; Samuels Makes Eight Saves In Career Finale
CHESTERTOWN, Md. — Josh Bordwick scored the game winning goal with 4:27 left in double overtime to lift visiting Muhlenberg to a 2-1 win over host Washington College in a Centennial Conference men's soccer game played tonight on Kibler Field at Roy Kirby, Jr. Stadium. The game marked the season finale for both schools.
Muhlenberg 2, Washington College 1 (2OT)
How It Happened
- James Strine took a shot 22:50 into the contest which was saved by a leaping Jordan Schreer, which resulted in a corner kick. The Shoremen took a 1-0 lead off that corner, as Strine delivered a corner that was headed into the upper right corner of the goal by Greg Adams with 22:48 to go in the half.
- Muhlenberg put three shots on goal in the rest of the opening half after the goal, the last of which came from Matt Athanas-Linden with 1:19 to go, which was saved by Shoremen goalkeeper Josh Samuels.
- Stephen Carton put a shot on goal for the Mules just 18 seconds into the second half, which was saved by Samuels. Carton created another scoring chance 5:27 into the second half, sending his shot just over the crossbar.
- Carton would tie the game for the Mules just 1:26 later, switching from his right foot onto his left foot and sending a shot from 20 yards away on the right side into the left side of the goal.
- Bordwick almost gave the Mules the lead with 24:43 to go, but his shot rattled off the right post.
- Shaun Bartholomew nearly gave Muhlenberg the lead with 9:53 to go, but his shot hit the left post, came back out and bounced off of Samuels, and was cleared by a Shoremen defender before the Mules could grab the rebound.
- Strine had a shot saved by Schreer with 26 seconds to go, sending the game into overtime tied 1-1.
- Strine had a golden opportunity to end the game 2:05 into the overtime, but his wide open shot from 15 yards out missed by a couple of inches outside of the post.
- Liam Mansfield put a shot on goal with 21 seconds left in the first overtime, but it was stopped by Schreer.
- Carton nearly won the game on the ensuing counter attack, but his shot with seven seconds left hit the crossbar and stayed out.
- Bordwick scored the walk off goal as Samuels came out to try and grab a loose ball, missed, and Bordwick stuck home a shot in the left side of the goal. Mark Walter and Athanas-Linden picked up assists on the winning goal as Walter found Athanas-Linden who found Bordwick for the winner.
For the Shoremen (6-8-3 Overall, 2-5-2 Centennial Conference)
- Scorers: Adams (goal), Strine (assist).
- Goalkeeper: Samuels (eight saves, two goals allowed, 105:33).
- The Shoremen held a slim 7-6 advantage in corner kicks.
For Muhlenberg (7-8-2 Overall, 3-5-1 Centennial Conference)
- Scorers: Carton (goal), Bordwick (goal).
- Goalkeeper: Schreer (four saves, one goal allowed, 105:33).
- The Mules held a 21-14 advantage in shots, including a 7-2 advantage in the two overtime periods.
- Samuels was named the Goose Nation TV Shoremen Player Of The Game on the webcast of the game for the first time in his career in the final game of his career.
- Washington finished the season going 6-2-2 at home, while going winless (0-6-1) on the road.
- Tonight marked the final game in a Shoremen uniform for Samuels, Pat O'Neal, Christian Keller, Kevin Sawyer, David McSwain, Kyle Kirwan, Brian Graham, Matt Rannie, and Aaron Barclay.