Sandler Wins in Singles and Doubles for Shoremen in Loss
LANCASTER, Pa. — Host Franklin & Marshall College defeated visiting Washington College, 5-3, in the first-round match of the five-team Centennial Conference Men's Tennis Tournament this afternoon in Lancaster, Pa.
Franklin & Marshall 5, Washington College 3 (Centennial Conference Tournament - First Round)
- The Shoremen pulled off two close wins at No. 1 and No. 2 to take a 2-1 lead. Chris Salisbury and Jake Sandler were 8-6 winners against Jack Rothman and Sam Bellersen at No. 1, while Justin Panepinto and Kyle Hickey defeated Isaac Salas and Zack Levin by the same score at No. 2.
- F&M won at No. 3 where Will Samuels and Andrew Pace defeated Luke Weaver and August Meriot, 8-4.
- The Shoremen and Diplomats split the first two singles matches to finish. Levin beat Weaver, 6-4, 6-0, at No. 3, but Sandler topped Salas, 7-5, 6-1, at No. 2 for a 3-2 Washington lead.
- Samuels evened the matched score at 3-3 with a 6-2, 6-3, triumph over Meriot at No. 5.
- The Diplomats won the next two matches to finish to wrap up the 5-3 win as the match was played to decision per conference tournament rules. Pace topped Panepinto, 7-6(3), 6-3, while Rothman beat Salisbury, 6-4, 7-6(4).
- Bellersen was leading Koby Bonta, 7-5, 5-3, when the match was stopped.
- Franklin & Marshall improved to 10-8 with the win and will move on to play at top-seed Johns Hopkins in a Centennial Conference semifinal match Saturday. The Shoremen finish their season with a 7-10 record.