Washington Also Competes at Hood Trophy
TOMS RIVER, N.J. — The Washington College sailing team finished seventh of 16 teams at the MAISA Central Fall Qualifier, hosted by Ocean County College, and 19th of 20 teams at the Hood Trophy, hosted by Tufts, this weekend. The seventh-place finish at the qualify advanced the team to the Luce Regatta, where it will compete for a spot at the War Memorial, the MAISA Fall Co-Ed Championships.
MAISA Central Fall Qualifier
How It Happened
- Paul Hart skippered Washington to a seventh-place finish in A Division, sailing with crew Ellie Lienert for the first two races in the division and Lindsey Arnstein for the final eight. Washington finished in the top six in six of the division's races.
- Andrew Vernon was Washington's skipper for its 10th-place B Division finish. Arnstein crewed the first two B Division races, Griffin Rodrigue the next four, Lienert the two after that, and Rodrigue the final two. Washington had three top-six race finishes in B Division.
- The top four finishing teams at the regatta - Merchant Marine, Navy, Penn, and Stony Brook - directly qualified for the War Memorial. The next six - Stevens, Villanova, Washington College, Princeton, Monmouth, and Drexel - advanced to the Luce Regatta. The Luce Regatta will be held in three weeks at Cornell. The War Memorial will be held at Hobart/William Smith two weeks later.
- Six races in each division sailed on Saturday. Four more in each division sailed on Sunday.
- Saturday's races were held in a north-northwest wind of 6-12 knots. Sunday's races were held in a light breeze from the north of 4-6 knots.
- Six A Division and four B Division races sailed on Saturday. Since no races were completed on Sunday, the scores reverted to where they stood after four races in each division.
- Host Tufts won the regatta, followed by Yale in second and Roger Williams in third.
- A lack of wind on Sunday limited the regatta to Saturday's races, which were held in a northerly breeze of eight knots that died during the day.
Up Next for the Washington College Sailing Team
9/30-10/1 @ Jesuit Interconference (hosted by Fordham & Columbia)