Harcum Has Hand in Three Runs, Gets Win in Cirlce
GETTYSBURG, Pa. — Fourth-seeded Washington College defeated top seed and host Gettysburg College, 7-3, in the first game of the double-elimination Centennial Conference Softball Tournament this afternoon at Bobby Jones Field.
Washington College 7, Gettysburg 3 (Centennial Conference Tournament)
How It Happened
- The Shorewomen plated the first run of the game thanks to a two-out double to center by Rachel Butler in the top of the first that plated Caroline Braungard.
- Washington scored its next two runs with two away in the top of the second as Taylor Harcum drove in Kerrigan Buck with a single up the middle and Braungard doubled down the left-field line to drive in Harcum.
- The Bullets got on the board in the bottom of the fourth when Liz Cowell drove in Nicole Farese with a sacrifice fly.
- The Shorewomen plated their fourth run when Harcum scored on a one-out squeeze bunt by Maddie Bennett in the top of the fifth and their fifth run with two outs that inning when Chrissy Segrest drove in Braungard with a single to right.
- Shelby Baker hit a two-out, two-run home run to right center field in the bottom of the fifth, scoring Taylor Doi on the play, to get the Bullets back to within two runs at 5-3.
- Braungard drove in Leah Stokes with a one-out sacrifice fly to right field in the top of the sixth for the Shorewomen's sixth run.
- In the top of the seventh, a two-out single up the middle by Stokes drove in Grace Moery for Washington's seventh run.
- Milly Kawabata pitched a one-two-three inning in the seventh for the Shorewomen to close things out.
For the Shorewomen (17-20)
- Hitting: Harcum (3-for-5, 2 runs, RBI); Braungard (double, 2 runs, 2 RBI); Stokes (hit, walk, run, RBI)
- Pitching: Taylor Harcum (win, 4 innings, 4 hits, 1 run, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts); Maddie Bennett (2 innings, 2 hits, 2 runs, 0 walks, 1 strikeout); Milly Kawabata (1 inning, 0 hits, 0 runs, 0 walks, 1 strikeout)
For Gettysburg (21-14)
- Hitting: Wendy Folfas (2-for-3); Baker (home run, 2 RBI< run, walk)
- Pitching: Aileen Reilly (loss, 4.1 innings, 4 hits, 5 runs, 4 earned runs, 1 walk, 0 strikeouts); Morgan Clauser (2.2 innings, 5 hits, 2 runs, 1 earned run, 3 walks, 4 strikeouts)
Up Next for the Shorewomen
5/5 v. McDaniel or Haverford (at Gettysburg) - 1:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference Tournament)
- The Shorewomen will play the winner of today's McDaniel/Haverford game in the winners' bracket game at approximately 12:00 p.m. tomorrow (official start time will be 30 minutes after the losers' bracket game). The winner of that game will advance to the championship round, beginning later on Saturday. The loser will play an elimination game immediately after against the winner of the losers' bracket game.