Docktor Tallies Seven Points, 10 Draw Controls in Win
CHESTERTOWN, Md. — Senior attacker Kristy Grovom (San Diego, Calif./Mission Hills) surpassed 100 career points and 100 career draw controls as the Washington College women's lacrosse team won its home opener, 18-7, against Coast Guard this afternoon on Kibler Field at Roy Kirby, Jr. Stadium.
Washington College 18, Coast Guard 7
How It Happened
- The Shorewomen scored seven seconds off the opening draw, which was won by Cecily Docktor, who passed the ball to Aubrey Robinson for a goal with 29:53 on the clock. Washington scored the first four goals of the game as Alison Pantazes found the back of the net on a free position for the fourth goal just 3:35 into the game.
- The Bears twice got the lead down to two goals in the first half, the second thanks to a goal by Etta Davis with 19:06 left. The Shorewomen responded with two goals in the next four minutes as a Lauren Brenner goal off a Grovom assist with 15:15 left gave the Shorewomen a 9-5 lead.
- Remarkably, neither team scored the rest of the half until a Cecily Docktor free-position tally with 29 seconds left gave the Shorewomen a 10-5 halftime lead.
- Grovom opened the second-half scoring with her 100th career point, scoring a goal off a Brenner assist 2:15 into the half. Her 100th career draw control came earlier in the contest, just 5:50 into the game.
- The Shorewomen scored again 15 seconds later on an Robinson tally and then again 33 seconds after that on a Pantazes goal to break the game open at 13-5. The Bears scored the next goal, but the Shorewomen responded with the next four as a Colleen Keefe goal on a Docktor assist gave them a 17-6 lead with 10:59 to play.
For the Shorewomen (2-2)
- Scoring Leaders: Docktor (2 goals, 5 assists); Brenner (2 goals, 4 assists); Robinson (4 goals); Grovom (3 goals, assist); Keefe (2 goals, assist); Pantazes (2 goals)
- In Goal: Isabella Richardson (4 saves, 7 goals allowed, 60:00)
- The Shorewomen controlled 21 of the game's 27 draws as Docktor accounted for a career-high 10 of those and Melissa Donato another seven. Washington held a 33-13 advantage in shots.
For Coast Guard (1-4)
- Scoring Leaders: Davis (2 goals); Maddie Rizzuto (2 goals); Haley Howard (2 goals)
- In Goal: Rebecca Dolan (10 saves, 14 goals allowed, 36:02); Mary Budri (2 saves, 4 goals allowed, 23:58)
- Howard added a game-best three caused turnovers for the Bears.
- Grovom is the 28th player in Washington College women's lacrosse history to reach 100 career points. She finished the game with 101 for her career on 85 goals and 16 assists. She is the 10th player in team history to reach 100 draw controls. She finished the game with 101 for her career.
- Grovom was named the Goose Nation TV Shorewomen Player of the Game.
3/16 v. Randolph-Macon - 1 p.m.