First Varsity Eight Surges Past Pacific Lutheran to Win Petite Final
WEST WINDSOR, N.J. — The 13th-ranked Washington College women's rowing team finished sixth in the final team standings at the NCAA Division III Championship held yesterday and today on Mercer Lake in West Windsor, N.J. The first varsity eight ended the season on a high note, using a strong finish to defeat Pacific Lutheran in the petite final.
NCAA Division III Championship
How It Happened
- The Shorewomen's first varsity eight was third of four boats in its heat in 6:47.768, passing seventh-ranked Pacific Lutheran (6:50.368) for third during the final 500 meters. Top-ranked Bates won the heat in 6:35.534, while fourth-ranked Wellesley was second in 6:37.704. With their top-two finishes, Bates and Wellesley advanced directly to the grand final.
- The Shorewomen's second varsity eight was third of three boats in its heat in 7:17.913. Wellesley won the heat in 6:49.617, while second-ranked Williams was second in 6:57.645. With its win in the heat, Wellesley advanced directly to the grand final.
- The Shorewomen's first varsity eight was fourth of four boats in its repechage in 6:53.858. Sixth-ranked Wesleyan won the repechage in 6:42.191, while eighth-ranked RIT was second in 6:43.198 as both of those crews advanced to the grand final. Pacific Lutheran, which was third in 6:44.694, advanced to the petite final, along with the Shorewomen.
- The Shorewomen's second varsity eight was fourth of four boats in the repechage in 7:22.327. Third-ranked Ithaca won the repechage in 6:57.291, while Williams was second in 6:59.581. Those two crews advanced to the grand final. RIT was third in 7:00.481 and advanced to the petite final, along with the Shorewomen.
- In the petite final of the first varsity eight, the Shorewomen used a strong final 1000 meters to rally past Pacific Lutheran and win the race in 6:48.582 to PLU's 6:50.146. Pacific Lutheran held a lead of greater than two seconds after 500 meters and nearly two seconds halfway through the race at 1,000 meters. The Shorewomen moved in front just past the 1,500-meter mark and held the lead the remainder of the race.
- In the petite final of the second varsity eight, RIT finished a little over two seconds faster than the Shorewomen, completing the race in 7:10.010 to the Shorewomen's 7:12.220.
- Bates won the 2017 NCAA Division III Championship with 39 total points, winning the second varsity eight and placing second in the first varsity eight. Williams won the first varsity eight, but placed second in the team standings with 38 points due to a third-place finish in the second varsity eight. Wellesley was third with 34 points, Ithaca fourth with 27, RIT fifth with 22, and the Shorewomen sixth with 17. As at-large eights, Pacific Lutheran and Wesleyan were ineligible for team points.
Shorewomen Boat Lineups
First Varsity Eight: Olivia Robb (coxswain), Jules Shipps (stroke), Erika Reynolds (seven), Jackie Creitz (six), Danielle Huston Hakey (five), Maddie Morrissette (four), Diana Lucey (three), Karis Marano (two), Leslie Collins (bow).
Second Varsity Eight: Emily Booth (coxswain), Kelin McCloskey (stroke), Brenna Kacar (seven), Megan Prokopius (six), Lizzie Bienert (five), Hannah Cagle (four), Breanna Lanphear (three), Mackenzie Gaze (two), Kerri Walsh (bow).
Spares: Emma Carter (coxswain), Kelley Gardner, Emma Hogan.
- Morrissette is the program's first rower to compete in the Shorewomen's first varsity eight at four consecutive NCAA Division III Championship.
- This was the Shorewomen's fifth consecutive trip to the NCAA Division III Championship.