2-0 Start for Shorewomen is First in 14 Years
CHESTERTOWN, Md. — Host Washington College scored twice in the first 10 minutes and controlled most of the game en route to a 2-1 non-conference women's soccer victory over visiting Gwynedd Mercy this afternoon on Kibler Field at Roy Kirby, Jr. Stadium. The Shorewomen improved to 2-0 for the first time in 14 years with the victory, while the Griffins fell to 1-1 with the loss.
Washington College 2, Gwynedd Mercy 1
How It Happened
- The Shorewomen wasted little time in getting on the scoreboard as Paige Cahoon scored the first goal of her four-year collegiate career exactly one minute in off a double assist from Arianna Sabatino and Olivia Sabatino. Olivia sent a pass ahead to Arianna, who sent a quick backward-facing touch to Cahoon who finished off the play.
- Washngton upped the lead to 2-0 at the 9:11 mark when Maribeth Harrington scored on the run off a well-played pass ahead by Olivia Sabatino.
- The Griffins cut the lead in half when they scored on their only shot of the first half, a header by Mercy Swartley off a corner kick from Grace MacNamara at 24:59.
- Gwynedd Mercy's lone chance in the second half came on a shot from MacNamara that went high in the 66th minute.
For the Shorewomen (2-0)
- Scorers: Cahoon (1 goal), Harrington (1 goal), O. Sabatino (2 assists), A. Sabatino (1 assist)
- Goalkeeper: Courtney Colbert (0 saves, 1 goal allowed, 90:00)
- The Shorewomen took 16 shots in the game, putting nine of them on goal. They also recorded four of the game's five corner kicks.
For Gwynedd Mercy (1-1)
- Scorers: Swartley (1 goal), MacNamara (1 assist)
- Goalkeeper: Kailey Hopkins (7 saves, 2 goals allowed, 90:00)
- The Griffins had two shots, one on goal.
- The Shorewomen opened the 2002 season with a 5-0 win over Albright and a 7-2 victory against Marywood. That was the only time in the team's 18 years of varsity play prior to this season that the Shorewomen won each of their first two games.
Up Next for the Shorewomen
9/7 @ St. Mary's (Md.) - 4:00 p.m.