Neary Scores Shorewomen's Lone Goal In The Loss
SALISBURY, Md. — Host Salisbury University got a pair of goals in the opening 12:15 of the contest and defeated visiting Washington College 3-1 in a non-conference women's soccer game played this afternoon at the Sea Gull Soccer Stadium in Salisbury, Maryland.
Salisbury 3, Washington College 1
How It Happened
- Salisbury wasted little time getting on the scoreboard, as Dana Gordon took a shot from outside the left of the 18 yard box over Shorewomen goalkeeper Courtney Colbert and into the back right portion of the net just 5:45 into the contest to give the Sea Gulls a 1-0 lead.
- Brooke Rossiter put Salisbury ahead 2-0 just 6:30 later, taking a pass from Julianna Boller in the middle of the box and scoring with 32:45 to go in the opening half.
- Arianna Sabatino took the Shorewomen's only shot of the opening half with 15:04 to go, but it was saved by Salisbury goalkeeper Hope Knussman. The Sea Gulls held a slim 3-1 advantage in shots at the halftime break.
- Lindsay Russell had the first shot on goal of the second half for the Shorewomen with 39:46 to go, but it was saved by Knussman.
- Carly Glassford put Salisbury ahead 3-0 with 10:11 to go, chipping a 20 yard shot into the back of the net.
- The Shorewomen cut the deficit to 3-1 with 4:58 to go when Lauren Neary pounced on a rebound following a shot by Maribeth Harrington and found the back of the net.
For the Shorewomen (1-1)
- Scorers: Neary (one goal).
- Goalkeeper: Colbert (two saves, three goals allowed, 90:00).
- The Shorewomen doubled up the Sea Gulls in corner kicks, four to two.
For Salisbury (1-2)
- Scorers: Gordon (one goal), Rossiter (one goal), Glassford (one goal), Boller (one assist)
- Goalkeeper: Knussman (four saves, one goal allowed, 86:27), Emma Hill (zero saves, zero goals allowed, 3:33).
- Salisbury outshot the Shorewomen 8-5 in the contest.
- Today's game was the first between Salisbury and Washington College in women's soccer.
- Neary, a junior, has two goals in two games played this season. She had just one career goal entering this season.
Up Next for the Shorewomen
9/9 @ Mary Washington - 12:30 p.m.
- It will be the first meeting between the two women's soccer programs.