Russell Scores Lone Goal in 1-0 Win Over Gwynedd Mercy
GWYNEDD VALLEY, Pa. — Junior midfielder Lindsay Russell (Wilmington, Del./Ursuline Academy) scored the only goal of the game in the 99th minute as the visiting Washington College women's soccer team defeated Gwynedd Mercy, 1-0, in overtime this evening in non-conference action. The Shorewomen improved to 4-1 for the second time in team history with the win, matching their best-ever five-game start.
Washington College 1, Gwynedd Mercy 0 (OT)
How It Happened
- The Shorewomen had a 5-1 advantage in shots in a scoreless first half, putting three on goal.
- Washington held a 4-3 advantage in second half. The Shorewomen put two of those on goal, while all three of the Griffins' shots in the period were on goal.
- In the 95th minute, Arianna Sabatino rang a shot off the crossbar for Washington for the only shot of overtime before Russell's goal.
- Sabatino then sent a corner kick to Russell, who deflected it into the goal for the game-winner at the 98:17 mark.
For the Shorewomen (4-1)
- Scorers: Russell (goal), A. Sabatino (assist)
- Goalkeepers: Courtney Colbert (0 saves, 0 goals allowed, 45:00); Annalie Buscarino (3 saves, 0 goals allowed, 53:17)
- The Shorewomen finished the game with an 11-4 advantage in shots.
For Gwynedd Mercy (2-3)
- Scorers: none
- Goalkeeper: Kailey Hopkins (5 saves, 1 goal allowed, 90:00)
- The Griffins held a slim 4-3 advantage in corner kicks in the game.
- The only previous Washington College women's soccer team to start 4-1 was the 2000 team. This is the 20th varsity season of the program.
Up Next for the Shorewomen
9/16 v. Gettysburg - 4:00 p.m. (Centnenial Conference Game)
- The game against Gettysburg will be the Shorewomen's Centennial Conference opener.