O. Sabatino, Russell Score in Loss for Shorewomen
CHESTERTOWN, Md. — Visiting Gettysburg College defeated host Washington College, 4-2, in the Centennial Conference women's soccer opener for both schools this afternoon on Kibler Field at Roy Kirby, Jr. Stadium.
Gettysburg 4, Washington College 2
How It Happened
- The Shorewomen scored first, at the 10:22 mark, when Cayla Marcinko lofted a pass ahead over the defense that Olivia Sabatino finished for a 1-0 lead.
- The Bullets tied the scored shortly thereafter as Maddie Heaney headed in a corner kick from Brooke Priddy at 11:47.
- Krissy Bradley put the Bullets in front with a header off an assist from Heaney at 29:28.
- Lauren Miesemer scored the Bullets' third goal game off a double assist from Heaney and Priddy at 54:40. Priddy sent a corner kick to Heaney who headed the ball to Miesemer for the finish.
- Caroline Kostecky tacked on the Bullets' fourth goal by scoring on a rebound of her own shot that first came back to Bradley at 65:51.
- The Shorewomen got one goal back at the 69:59 mark when Lindsay Russell headed in a long cross from Arianna Sabatino.
For the Shorewomen (4-2, 0-1 Centennial Conference)
- Scorers: O. Sabatino (goal), Russell (goal), Marcinko (assist), A. Sabatino (assist)
- Goalkeepers: Courtney Colbert (3 saves, 2 goals allowed, 45:00); Annalie Buscarino (1 save, 2 goals allowed, 45:00)
For Gettysburg (3-1-1, 1-0 Centennial Conference)
- Scorers: Heaney (goal, 2 assists), Bradley (goal, assist), Miesemer (goal), Kostecky (goal), Priddy (2 assists)
- Goalkeeper: Kerry Sammon (2 saves, 2 goals allowed, 90:00)
- The Bullets had a 14-9 advantage in shots and a 6-3 edge in corner kicks in the game.
- Before the Shorewomen's first goal of today's game, they had not scored on Gettysburg since 2009, breaking a streak of seven straight Gettysburg shutouts in the all-time series. The Shorewomen had never before scored two goals in a single game against the Bullets in 18 previous all-time meetings. Gettysburg now leads the all-time series, 19-0.
- Olivia Sabatino was named the Goose Nation TV Shorewomen Player of the Game on the webcast of the game.
Up Next for the Shorewomen
9/20 v. Delaware Valley - 7:00 p.m.