Sabatino Twins Each Score as Squad Downs Mules for the First Time
CHESTERTOWN, Md. – The Washington College women's soccer team secured its first-ever winning season at 8-6-1 by downing visiting Muhlenberg for the first time, 2-0, in Centennial Conference women's soccer action on Saturday afternoon at Kibler Field at Roy Kirby, Jr. Stadium in the season finale for both squads. The Shorewomen cap their campaign at 4-6-0 in the Centennial, while the Mules close out their season at 6-8-2 overall and 3-6-1 in the conference.
Washington College 2 Muhlenberg 0
How It Happened
- Muhlenberg thought they had taken the lead in the 18th minute on a header from Isabel Schwartz off of a free kick taken by Casarah Morales, but Schwartz was ruled to be offside negating the score.
- Olivia Sabatino got Washington onto the scoreboard at the 20:50 mark when her shot from 25 yards out on the right side curled into the upper left corner after receiving a pass from Emily Jacoby who chalked up the assist for her eighth of the season to extend her record for helpers in a single season.
- The Mules almost tied the game off of a free kick by Makenzie O'Brien in the 27th minute as her ball found Schwartz, but Schwartz's shot was cleared off the goal line by Bess Mascone before it could cross the line.
- Washington made it 2-0 at 33:27 of the opening half when Arianna Sabatino corralled a feed from Lindsay Russell and her shot from top left of the box found its way into the lower right of the net and that would be your halftime score.
- In the second half, Muhlenberg's final shot on goal came with 11:24 left by Morales, but her shot was saved by Noah Smith. Morales had the final shot of the match with 3:05 left, but it was wide right.
For The Shorewomen (8-6-1, 4-6-0 CC)
- Scorers: A. Sabatino (goal), O. Sabatino (goal), Jacoby (assist), Russell (assist)
- Goalkeepers: Courtney Colbert (0 saves, 0 goals allowed, 45:00), Smith (1 save, 0 goals allowed, 90:00)
- Totaled seven shots and three corner kicks for the match.
For Muhlenberg (6-8-2, 3-6-1 CC)
- Scorers: None
- Goalkeeper: Libby Juliano (1 save, 2 goals allowed, 66:47), Marissa D'Alessandro (0 saves, 0 goals allowed, 23:13)
- Took four shots and registered one corner kick in the contest.
- Arianna and Olivia Sabatino were named the Goose Nation TV Shorewomen Players of the Game as they cap their careers as the program's all-time leaders in goals scored with 20 each.
- The team honored seniors Colbert, Russell, Arianna Sabatino, Olivia Sabatino, Picabo French and Lauren Neary prior to the contest.
- With eight wins this season, the team matches the 2000 and 2002 sides for wins in a single season.
- Washington's four wins in the Centennial this season doubles its previous high for wins in a season of two which they did six times. The 4-6-0 mark tops the previous high of 2-7-1 set in 2012 and 2017.
- It was the team's first win over the Mules in 21 tries and the first time the team scored two goals versus Muhlenberg.
- Colbert finishes her career as the program's leader in goals against average at 1.63.
- The Shorewomen scored nine more goals this season as they scored 38 times and allowed 13 fewer scores this season as they surrendered just 17 goals.