Kowalski and Smith Both Notch Double-Doubles For Washington
WASHINGTON, D.C. – Host Catholic downed visiting Washington College, 3-0, (25-22, 25-22, 25-22) Wednesday night against host Catholic in a non-conference volleyball match at the DuFour Center. The Cardinals improve to 7-2 on the year, while the Shorewomen drop to 4-6.
Catholic 3 Washington College 0 (25-22, 25-22, 25-22)
How It Happened
- Catholic led 19-18 before winning the next four points to take a 23-18 lead on an attack error by Washington. The Cardinals won the set on a service error by the Shorewomen after the guests trimmed the 23-18 lead to 24-22 on a kill by Abby Smith.
- Tied 20-20 in the second set, the Cardinals won the next three points to lead 23-20 on a kill by Juliana Michniak. The Shorewomen won the next two points to trim the lead to 23-22 on a service ace by Cassie Kowalski. However the Cardinals won the final two points, clinching the set on a ball handling error.
- The Shorewomen scored the first six points of the third set with Smith scoring the final point on a kill. However the Cardinals scored 20 of the next 28 points to lead 20-14 on an attack error by the Shorewomen. Trailing 24-19, the Shorewomen cut the lead to 24-22 following an attack miscue by Catholic, but a ball handling error on the next point by Washington ended the set and match.
For The Shorewomen (4-6)
- Smith (10 kills to tie for match-high, team-high 15 digs and four blocks), Kowalski (10 kills to tie for match-high and 11 digs), Lauren Zedlar (18 assists), Jensyn Hartzell (13 assists), Isabella Sansanelli (six blocks to lead all players)
- Shorewomen had two service aces and eight blocks in the match.
- WC hit .126 in the contest.
For Catholic (7-2)
- Michniak (10 kills to tie for match lead), Maria Gonzalez (31 assists to tie for tops in contests and 10 digs), Mackenzie Collier (contest-best 16 digs), Caroline Kelly (13 digs)
- Catholic had three aces and one block in the victory.
- The hosts hit .157 on the evening.
- Kowalski now has three double-doubles on the year, while Smith has a pair of double-doubles.
9/15 @ Gettysburg – 1:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference match)
- Conference opener for the Shorewomen.