Zwier Goes Yard, Meder Drives in Four in Loss for Shoremen
DOVER, Del. — Host Wesley College scored four times in the bottom of the eighth inning and then held on for a 10-9 non-conference win over visiting Washington College this afternoon in Dover, Del. The game was the beginning of a home-and-home series this week between the two teams, who will play again Thursday in Chestertown, Md.
Wesley 10, Washington College 9
How It Happened
- Back-to-back RBI doubles by Mike Calvarese and William Foster gave Wesley an early 2-0 lead in the bottom of the first inning.
- The Shoremen moved in front, 3-2, in the top of the second thanks to an RBI single by Luke D'Ostilio and a two-run single to right by Charlie Meder. Meder drove in another run with a double to left center in the top of the fourth as the Washington lead grew to 4-2.
- Cody Dmiterchik put the Wolverines back in front, 5-4, with a three-run double down the left-field line in the bottom of the fourth, but Ryan Zwier homered to center for the Shoremen in the top of the fifth to level the score at five runs each.
- Washington plated three runs in the top of the sixth for an 8-5 lead. Evan Hirschbaum drove in a run with a single, Meder another with a sacrifice fly, and Matt Tancredi the third with an RBI single to right.
- Wesley got one run back in the bottom of the seventh when Trey Mears stole third base and scored on a throwing error. The Wolverines then scored four times in the bottom of the eighth to surge ahead, 10-8. Aaron Briggs scored on an error and Chris Seibert hit a three-run double to center field.
- The Shoremen pulled back to within one run in the top of the ninth thanks to a one-out RBI single to left by Luke D'Ostilio. Wesley pitcher Connor Springstein then struck out the next two batters, however, as Wesley held on to win the game.
For the Shoremen (7-10)
- Hitting: Zwier (3-for-5, home run); Meder (2 hits, double, 4 RBI); D'Ostilio (2 hits, 2 RBI, run, walk); Hirschbaum (2 hits, 2 runs, RBI)
- Pitching: P.J. Mikulus (6.2 innings, 6 tuns, 7 hits, 4 walks, 4 strikeouts); Nick Popolizio (loss, 1 inning, 4 runs, 1 earned run, 2 hits, 3 walks, 1 strikeout); Brandon Bartlett (0.1 innings, no runs, no hits, no walks)
For Wesley (10-6)
- Hitting: Seibert (2 hits, double, 3 RBI, run); Calvarese (2 hits, double, run, RBI); Mears (3 runs, RBI, walk, stolen base); Dmiterchik (2 hits, 3 RBI, run, stolen base)
- Pitching: Collin Miller (4 innings, 4 runs, 8 hits, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts); Ryan Devine (3 innings, 4 runs, 4 hits, 2 walks, 1 strikeout); Springstein (win, 2 innings, 1 run, 1 hit, 2 walks, 4 strikeouts)
Up Next for the Shoremen
3/23 v. Wesley - 3:30 p.m.