Hirschbaum Homers in Win, Smith Picks Up First Collegiate Victory
CHESTERTOWN, Md. — Freshman pitcher Mike Smith (Springfield, Pa./Springfield) picked up his first collegiate victory as the Washington College baseball team topped Delmarva rival Wesley College, 11-3, in a non-conference game this afternoon at Athey Park.
Washington College 11, Wesley 3
How It Happened
- The Wolverines first three batters reached and then Jarrett Wallace scored on a double-play ball. Wesley added a second run in the top of the first when Michael Piccirillo drove in a run with an infield single.
- Chris Bramble scored on a wild pitch in the second inning for the Wolverines' third run.
- Evan Hirschbaum homered to left field to put the Shoremen on the board in the bottom of the second. Matt Tancredi scored later in the inning during a sacrifice bunt by Joe Lozupone that was throw away by Wesley pitcher Alex Marrs. The Shoremen evened the score before the inning was over when Ryan Donnelly scored on a failed pick off throw away by Wesley catcher John Joines.
- The Shoremen took their first lead of the game when Aaron Barclay scored on a sacrifice fly by Tancredi in the bottom of the third to put Washington in front, 4-3.
- Gavin O'Donnell hit a two-run triple in the bottom of the sixth and later scored on a ground-out by Chris Kramedas as the lead grew to 7-3.
- Barclay scored on a Max Hammond sacrifice fly in the bottom of the seventh to push the lead to 8-3. The Shoremen rounded out the scoring with an RBI single by Luke D'Ostilio and a two-run single by Barclay in the bottom of the eighth.
For the Shoremen (5-2)
- Hitting: Barclay (3-for-4, 2 RBI, 2 runs); Tancredi (2-for-3, run, RBI); O'Donnell (triple, 2 runs, 2 RBI); Hirschbaum (home run)
- Pitching: Smith (win, 6 innings, 3 hits, 3 walks, 3 runs, 5 strikeouts); Popolizio (3 innings, no hits, no walks, no runs, 3 strikeouts)
- The Shoremen scored the final 11 runs of the game and finished with 12 hits.
For Wesley (2-4)
- Hitting: Piccirillo (hit, RBI); Wallace (hit, run); Bramble (hit, run, stolen base)
- Pitching: Marrs (loss, 5.1 innings, 8 hits, 7 runs, 5 earned runs, 3 walks, 6 strikeouts)
- The Wolverines were limited to three hits in the game.
- Smith was named the Goose Nation TV Shoremen Player of the Game.
Up Next for the Shoremen
3/11 v. Western Connecticut State (2) - 11:00 a.m. (Fort Pierce, Fla.)