Washington Runs Win Streak to Five Games
FORT PIERCE, Fla. — The Washington College baseball game won its fourth and fifth consecutive games and improved to 9-2 on the season by sweeping a double-header from Marywood University at the Lawnwood Baseball Complex in Fort Pierce, Fla., today.
Washington College 10, Marywood 3 (Game 1)
How It Happened
- Evan Hirschbaum put the Shoremen on the board early with an RBI single in the bottom of the first. A two-run double by Michael Tempel in the top of the second gave Marywood the lead, 2-1.
- Washington plated five runs in the bottom of the second for a 6-2 lead. Chris Kramedas drove in a run with a triple to right and then scored on a Luke D'Ostilio single. D'Ostilio then scored on a Barclay at bat that resulted in an infield single and throwing error, allowing D'Ostilio to score from first. A sacrifice fly by Ryan Zwier and an RBI single by Joe Otto completed the second-inning scoring.
- A sacrifice fly by Kramedas in the third added to the Shoremen's lead. Trevor Powers drove in a run with a single for the Pacers in the top of the fifth got Marywood back to with four at 7-3. - In the bottom of the sixth, Max Hammond drove in the Shoremen's eighth run with a single and Tommy Buckman drove in two with a single to provide the final margin.
For the Shoremen (8-2)
- Hitting: D'Ostilio (3-for-3, 3 runs, RBI, walk); Hirschbaum (2-for-3, run, RBI, triple); Aaron Barclay (2-for-4, run, stolen base); Kramedas (1-for-2, run, 2 RBI, triple); Buckman (1-for-2, 2 RBI), Joe Lozupone (1-for-2, 2 runs, walk, stolen base)
- Pitching: Brian Kasey (win, 4 innings, 4 hits, 3 runs, 5 walks, 4 strikeouts); Mike Smith (0.1 innings); Matt Furlong (1.2 innings, 1 strikeout); Mike Bartels (1 inning, 1 strikeout)
For Marywood (1-2)
- Hitting: Tempel (1-for-2, run, 2 RBI, double, walk); Powers (1-for-2, RBI, walk)
- Pitching: Pasquale Mandarano (loss, 1.2 innings, 9 hits, 6 runs, 1 walk, 1 strikeout); Jerry Hobbs (3.2 innings, 4 hits, 4 runs, 3 walks); Nathan Michener (0.2 innings, 1 hit, 1 strikeout)
Washington College 8, Marywood 3 (Game 2)
How It Happened
- A sacrifice fly by Scott Becker in the bottom of the first gave the Pacers a 1-0 lead.
- The Shoremen tied things up in the top of the third on an RBI single by Barclay and took the lead two batters later on a two-run triple by Hirschbaum for a 3-1 advantage. In the bottom of the third, Jake Schuster singled in a run and Powers scored on a fielder's choice to deadlock the game at 3-3.
- Ryan Donnelly homered in the top of the fourth for the Shoremen to put them back in front, 5-3.
- The Shoremen then plated three runs in the top of the fifth to extend the lead to 8-3. Hirschbaum started things off with an RBI single. David Hudak, who pinch-ran for Hirschbaum, later scored on a fielder's choice in the inning. Kramedas drove in a run with a sacrifice fly.
For the Shoremen (9-2)
- Hitting: Matt Tancredi (4-for-4, run, triple); Zwier (3-for-4, 2 runs, double); Hirschbaum (2-for-3, 3 RBI, triple); Donnelly (1-for-3, home run, 2 runs, 2 RBI, stolen base)
- Pitching: Nick Brauer (2.1 innings, 3 hits, 3 runs - 2 earned, 2 walks); Dom Giandonato (win, 1.2 innings, 1 hit, 2 strikeouts); Connor Morgan 1 inning, 2 hits, 1 strikeout); Alex Bendzlowicz (1 innings, 1 strikeout); Billy Benson (1 inning, 2 hits, 1 strikeout)
For Marywood (1-3)
- Hitting: Powers (2-for-3, 2 runs, walk); Matt Higgins (2-for-3, run); Schuster (2-for-4, RBI)
- Pitching: Joey Castellani (loss, 5 innings, 10 hits, 8 runs, 0 walks, 5 strikeouts); Alex Ferriola (2 innings, 2 hits, 1 walk, 1 strikeout)
Up Next for the Shoremen
3/13 v. Earlham - 10:00 a.m.