Junior's Two Dingers Power Nine-Run Fourth for Shoremen
CHESTERTOWN, Md. — Junior Ryan Zwier (Newark, Del./Christ School [N.C.]) hit two home runs in a nine-run fourth inning for the host Washington College baseball team as the Shoremen powered past visiting McDaniel, 17-5, in a Centennial Conference game this afternoon at Athey Park.
Washington College 17, McDaniel 5
How It Happened
- Colin Franke drove in the first run for the Green Terror with a two-out single in the top of the second.
- The Shoremen evened the score in the bottom of the frame thanks to an RBI double to right field by Ryan Colbert. Max Ruvo followed with a single to right to drive in Colbert and give the Shoremen a 2-1 lead. Zwier then hit a sacrifice fly to center to drive in the Shoremen's third run and Tommy Buckman followed with a two-run single to shallow left center to complete a five-run inning and five Washington a 5-1 lead.
- Ben Ruvo tripled to right field in the bottom of the third to drive in twin brother Max for the Shoremen's sixth run.
- Ryan Zwier led off the bottom of the fourth for the Shoremen with a home run to dead center field for a 7-1 lead. Later in the inning, Max Ruvo hit a single through the left side to drive in a pair of runs, giving Washington a 9-1 cushion. A two-run single by CJ Gillmer two batters lead extended the lead to 10 runs. Zwier then hit his second home run of the inning, this one a three-run shot to left, and Luke D'Ostilio followed with an RBI single to right as the Shoremen wound up scoring nine runs in the inning as the lead grew to 15-1.
- A two-out error plated Colbert in the bottom of the fifth for the Shoremen's 16th run.
- In the top of the sixth, the Green Terror got fourruns back thanks to RBI singles by Jarod Pezzano and Jimmy Danielczyk, a bases loaded hit-by-pitch taken by Will Strauss, and a bases-loaded walk drawn by Bryden Steele.
- In the bottom of the seventh, a double by Gillmer plated the Shoremen's 17th run, bringing David Hudak across to score.
For the Shoremen (21-6, 3-3 Centennial Conference)
- Hitting: Zwier (2-for-5, 2 runs, 2 home runs, 5 RBI, walk, sac fly); Gillmer (4-for-6, 2 runs, 3 RBI, double); Max Ruvo (2-for-4, 2 RBI, 3 runs); Ben Ruvo (2-for-3, 2 runs, RBI, triple, walk); D'Ostilio (3-for-3, 2 runs, RBI, walk); Colbert (2-for-3, 3 runs, RBI, double, walk)
- Pitching: Billy Benson (win, 5.1 innings, 9 hits, 5 runs, 5 earned, 2 walks, 2 strikeouts); Alex Bendzlowicz (0.2 innings, 0 hits, 0 runs, 1 walk, 1 strikeout); Ethan Kile (1 inning, 1 hit, 0 runs); JD Sparks (1 inning, 1 hit, 0 runs, 1 walk); Colin Brown (1 inning, 1 hit, 0 runs)
- As a team, the Shoremen pounded out 18 hits in the win.
For McDaniel (9-13-1, 1-5 Centennial Conference)
- Hitting: Franke (3-for-3, RBI); Matthew Purnell (2-for-3, run)
- Pitching: Jordan Rhodes (loss, 3.2 innings, 11 hits, 11 runs, 11 earned, 4 walks, 2 strikeouts); Drew Robinson (0.1 innings, 4 hits, 4 runs, 4 earned, 2 walks, 1 strikeout); Jack Slater (2 innings, 2 hits, 1 run, 0 earned, 1 walk, 2 strikeouts); Brandon Richmond (2 innings, 1 hit, 1 run, 1 earned, 1 walk, 1 strikeout)
- With their 21st win of the season, the Shoremen tied the 1997 team (21-13) for fourth most wins in a season in program history.
- Zwier was named the Goose Nation TV Shoremen Player of the Game.
4/9 v. Franklin & Marshall - 3:30 p.m. (Centennial Conference game)