Baseball Splits With Ursinus At Athey Park
CHESTERTOWN, Md. – The Washington College baseball team split a doubleheader with Centennial Conference rival Ursinus at Athey Park on Saturday afternoon. Junior outfielder Chris Baker drove in four runs in the opener to lead the Shoremen to a 5-3 victory. The Bears bounced back to win the nightcap by a 7-1 margin. The hosts improved to 11-3 (5-1) while Ursinus is now 1-3 (1-3)
Washington College 5 Ursinus 3 (Game 1)
How It Happened
- Baker crushed a two-run homer to right field in the bottom of the first inning after classmate Max Ruvo led off with a double.
- Second baseman Solomon Griffith evened the score with a two-run double in the top of the second off starter Mike Smith.
- The visitors took a 3-2 advantage in the top of the third as third baseman Eric Gross delivered an RBI single off the glove of Smith.
- Baker came through with the game-winning hit in the bottom of the fourth, a two-run triple to right center, plating Max Ruvo and catcher Ryan Colbert. Second baseman Jack Kingman then added an insurance run with a line-drive sacrifice fly to center to plate Baker.
For the Shoremen (11-2, 5-0 C.C.)
- Hitting: Baker (2-for-3, HR, 3B, BB, 4 RBI, 2 runs), Max Ruvo (2-for-4, 2B, BB 2 runs)
- Pitching: Smith (Win, 6.0 innings, 6 hits, 3 earned runs, 3 walks, 6 strikeouts)
For Ursinus (0-3, 0-3 C.C.)
- Hitting: Solomon Griffith (3-for-5, 2 RBI, 2B)
- Pitching: Nick Defoe (Loss, 3.1 innings, 4 earned runs, 2 walks, 4 strikeouts)
Ursinus 7 Washington College 1 (Game 2)
How It Happened
- The visitors scored all seven of their runs in the top of the fourth inning and never looked back. The Bears first run came when starter Anthony Soffran balked in a run with the bases loaded.
- Designated hitter Tom Snipes then delivered a two-run single to center to give the Bears a 3-0 lead.
- Right fielder Connor Barrett smoked a three-run homer to blow the game open off reliever Ethan Osgood.
- Center fielder Will Peifer finished off the huge inning with an RBI double to right center.
- The Shoremen scored their lone run of the game on an RBI double by Kingman in the bottom of the eighth.
For the Shoremen (11-3, 5-1 C.C.)
- Hitting: Baker (3-for-5, run, SB), C.J. Gillmer (2-for-4)
- Pitching: Soffran (Loss, 3.2 innings, four hits, four earned runs, BB, 4 strikeouts) Frankel (2.1 innings, 2 hits, walk, 2 strikeouts)
For Ursinus (1-3, 1-3 C.C.)
- Hitting: Snipes (3-for-4, 2 RBI), Barrett (2-for-4, HR, 2B, 3 RBI)
- Pitching: Nolan Graber (Win, 7.0 innings, 8 hits, earned run, 0 walks, 7 strikeouts)
Next Up: April 10 at Johns Hopkins (12:00 pm, DH)