Brandt Scores Both Goals for Washington
YORK, Pa. – Greta Plappert scored the game-winning goal on a penalty stroke for host York (Pa.) with just over 30 minutes remaining in the game in a win 3-2 over visiting Washington College in a non-conference field hockey game on Sunday afternoon at Kinsley Field. The Spartans improve to 3-3 on the year, while the Shorewomen fall to 0-6.
York (Pa.) 3 Washington College 2
How It Happened
- The Shorewomen scored on their first shot of the game as Kailyn Brandt rocketed a shot from the top of the circle with Clare Ingersoll notching the assist 10:42 in.
- York tied the game 2:33 later when Emily Schilling stole the ball from the Washington defense in front of the cage.
- Off of a penalty corner, the Spartans took the lead as Meghan Heary's shot from the top of the circle found its way into the goal on the right side with Julea Truskey getting the assist at the 16:14 mark.
- Washington had a penalty corner with 4:23 left in the first half, but could not generate a shot and York took a 2-1 lead into halftime.
- Brandt tied the game 59 seconds into the second half as she dribbled down the field and scored unassisted.
- The game did not remained tied for long as Plappert converted a penalty stroke to give York a 3-2 lead with 30:12 left in the second half on a shot to the left side of the goal. The Spartans were awarded the stroke following a violation in the circle by the Shorewomen.
- Washington's last chance for the equalizer came with 5:55 left on a Brandt shot, but her shot was turned away by York goalie Sam Keating.
For The Shorewomen (0-6)
- Scorer: Brandt (two goals), Ingersoll (assist)
- Goalkeeper: Morgan Domanico (8 saves, 3 goals allowed, 70:00)
- Washington had nine shots and six penalty corners in the contest.
For York (Pa.) (3-3)
- Scorers: Heary (goal), Schilling (goal), Plappert (goal), Truskey (assist)
- Goalkeeper: Keating (3 saves, 2 goals allowed, 70:00)
- The Spartans had 15 shots and 13 penalty corners in the game.
- Brandt had her second career two goal game as she had a pair in a win over Roanoke last October.
- York assistant coach Taylor Fisher served as an assistant coach for Washington last year.
9/20 v. Bryn Mawr - 7:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference Game)
- Shorewomen won 4-0 last year and have won the prior 24 meetings.