Brandt Scores Winner From Emily Pantazes
SWARTHMORE, Pa. – Sophomore forward Kailyn Brandt (White Hall, Md./Hereford) scored the game-winner with 9:07 remaining in the game to help visiting Washington College edge host Swarthmore 2-1 win in a Centennial Conference field hockey game on Wednesday night at Clothier Field as all three goals in the game were scored after halftime. The Shorewomen improve to 3-8 overall and 3-2 in the Centennial, while the Garnet slide to 5-6 and 1-4 respectively.
Washington College 2 Swarthmore 1
How It Happened
- Despite holding a 13-2 advantage in shots in the first half, Swarthmore could not dent the scoreboard and the game was scoreless at halftime. The Garnet were awarded a penalty stroke with 6:21 left in the opening half, but Washington goalie Morgan Domanico went to her right to stop the stroke by Swarthmore's Chelsea Semper. Swarthmore had one final chance to score just before halftime, but the shot by Samantha Meacock went wide right.
- The Shorewomen had a chance to score with 2:48 left on a break, but the shot by Brandt was turned away by Zelda Bank.
- Washington broke onto the scoreboard 3:36 into the second half when Olivia Auer tipped in a shot by Nicole Schroyer from the left side on a play that started off of a penalty corner.
- Schroyer almost picked up her second assist of the game with 23:16 as she found Brandt in the middle of the circle, but Brandt's shot went wide to the right.
- Swarthmore was awarded its second penalty stroke of the game with 18:11 left in the second half following a foul by Washington in the circle. Kathleen Carmichael converted the stroke to the lower right side to even the contest at 1-1.
- The game remained even until 9:07 left when off of a penalty corner, Emily Pantazes found Brandt and from the top of the circle Brandt smacked the shot into the left side of the goal to give the Shorewomen a 2-1 lead and the score proved to be the winning tally.
- Swarthmore had one shot in the final nine-plus minutes to try to tie the game, but could not get the equalizer. Marion Carr had the chance with 2:09 left, but her shot went wide right.
- The Garnet had a penalty corner with 1:39 remaining, but could not muster a shot and Washington ran out the clock as the Shorewomen held the hosts to just two shots in the final 35 minutes.
For The Shorewomen (3-8, 3-2 CC)
- Scorer: Auer (goal), Brandt (goal), Schroyer (assist), Emily Pantazes (assist)
- Goalkeeper: Domanico (5 saves, 1 goals allowed, 70:00)
- Washington had 10 shots and six penalty corners in the contest.
For Swarthmore (5-6, 1-4 CC)
- Scorers: Carmichael (penalty stroke goal)
- Goalkeeper: Bank (7 saves, 2 goals allowed, 70:00)
- The Garnet had 15 shots and eight penalty corners in the game.
- The Shorewomen have now won six straight over the Garnet and 16 of the past 18 dating back to 2001.
10/6 v. Dickinson - 1:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference Game)
- The Shorewomen won 3-2 in overtime last year over the Red Devils on a golden goal by Auer.