CHESTERTOWN, Md. – Gwnyedd Mercy's Lauren Jani scored the only goal of the game with 9:30 left in the first half from Michaela Swenk to give the visitors a 1-0 win over host Washington College in a non-conference field hockey game on Saturday afternoon at Kibler Field at Roy Kirby, Jr. Stadium. The Griffins improve to 10-5 on the year, while the Shorewomen fall to 4-12.
Gwnyedd Mercy 1 Washington College 0
How It Happened
- The Shorewomen got the first shot of the game 6:56 into the game on a Kailyn Brandt shot, but it was stopped by Griffins' goalie Abi Kennedy.
- Gwynedd Mercy got onto the board with 9:30 left in the first half when Lauren Jani tipped in a shot from Michaela Swenk. The goal capped a sequence of three penalty corners for the visitors in less than 90 seconds.
- Washington thought they had tied the game off of a penalty corner with 3:34 left in the half, but the shot by Nicole Schroyer that hit the right post and in was deemed to be dangerous.
- The Shorewomen had two quality chances to tie it in the second half off of the stick of Grace Steele, but her first shot with 20:09 went just wide to the right and her shot with 4:28 left rang off the left post.
- Olivia Auer grabbed the rebound of Steele's shot, but her scoring chance was thwarted on a defensive save by Gwynedd Mercy's Kathryn Lehman two seconds after Steele's shot hit the post.
- Washington's final shot came with 39 ticks left in the game by Alison Pantazes, but her shot went wide and the Griffins were able to run out the clock.
For The Shorewomen (4-12)
- Scorer: None
- Goalkeeper: Morgan Domanico (5 saves, 1 goal allowed, 35:00), Kayla Zapcic (1 save, 0 goals allowed, 70:00)
- Washington had 12 shots and six penalty corners in the contest.
For Gwnyedd Mercy (10-5)
- Scorers: Jani (goal), Swenk (assist)
- Goalkeeper: Kennedy (five saves, 0 goals allowed, 70:00)
- Lehman (defensive save)
- The Griffins had 11 shots and 11 penalty corners in the game.
- Schroyer was named the Goose Nation TV Shorewoman of the Game.
- The team recognized its eight seniors prior to the game and they were Auer, Domanico, Schroyer, Alison Pantazes, Maggie Cancelmo, Clare Ingersoll, Sabrina Jenkins and Emily Pantazes.
10/24 @ #19 Ursinus - 7:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference Game)