McCormick Leads All Players With 16 Points
SWARTHMORE, Pa. — Host and top-ranked Swarthmore outscored visiting Washington College 40-20 in the second half to erase a halftime deficit and post a 68-56 win in a Centennial Conference men's basketball game played tonight at Tarble Pavillion in Swarthmore, Pennsylvania. It was the Centennial opener for both teams.
#1 Swarthmore 68, Washington College 56
How It Happened
- Swarthmore held an 8-7 lead before the Shoremen went on a 15-0 run to take a 22-8 lead with 11:35 to go in the opening half following a layup from Barry McCormick.
- The Garnet cut the deficit to single digits at 26-18 with 5:35 left in the opening half following a layup from Zac O'Dell.
- A dunk from Daniel Brown put Washington ahead 31-23 with 3:20 left in the half, but Swarthmore would score the next five points to cut the lead to 31-28 with 1:08 left in the half on a layup from O'Dell.
- Alec Lewis made a pair of free throws with 57 seconds left in the half to push the lead to five. O'Dell missed a layup with 19 seconds to go, and Brown would grab the defensive rebound and then hit a three pointer to beat the halftime buzzer and send Washington to the locker room with a 36-28 lead.
- A pair of free throws from Dallas Marshall put Washington ahead 42-36 with 14:25 to go, but Swarthmore scored the next 12 points to take a 48-42 lead with 10:34 to go following a three pointer from Colin Shaw.
- The run extended to 18-2 as the Garnet took their first double digit lead of the game at 54-44 with 6:58 to go following a pair of free throws from Nate Shafer.
- The Shoremen responded with an 8-2 spurt to cut the lead to 56-52 with 4:43 to go on a layup from Brown.
- The Garnet then closed the game from there on a 12-4 run to provide the final margin.
For the Shoremen (2-4 Overall, 0-1 Centennial Conference)
- McCormick (game high 16 points), Brown (14 points), Lewis (10 points), Marshall (team high nine rebounds).
- The Shoremen shot 36.1% (22-for-61) from the floor in the loss, 15.8% (3-for-19) from three point range, and 69.2% (9-for-13) at the free throw line.
- Washington shot 46.9% in the opening half, compared to just 24.1% in the second half.
For #1 Swarthmore (5-0 Overall, 1-0 Centennial Conference)
- Shafer (14 points, nine rebounds), O'Dell (12 points, game high 11 rebounds), George Visconti (10 points), Vinny Deangelo (contest bests of four assists and three steals).
- The Garnet shot 40.3% (25-for-62) from the floor in the win, 29.4% (5-for-17) from three point range, and 72.2% (13-for-18) at the free throw line.
- Swarthmore held a 46-35 advantage in rebounding, a 32-22 advantage in points in the paint, and a 17-6 advantage in points off turnovers.
Up Next for the Shoremen
11/30 @ Chicago - 2:00 p.m.
- It will be the first meeting between the two programs.