Wright Scores Game-Best 20 Points to Match Career-High
CHESTERTOWN, Md. – Visiting Muhlenberg closed out the game by scoring 12 of the final 18 points to turn a 62-60 lead into a 74-66 win over host Washington College on Wednesday night in a Centennial Conference men's basketball game at the Cain Athletic Center. The Mules improve to 8-0 overall and 2-0 in the Centennial, while the Shoremen fall to 2-6 and 0-2 respectively.
Muhlenberg 74 Washington College 66
How It Happened
- Leading 15-14, the Shoremen scored eight unanswered points to take their largest lead of the game at 23-14 following a jumper by Austin Allen.
- Muhlenberg would answer with a 14-4 run of its own to take a 28-27 lead on two free throws by Michael Morreale.
- The Mules would score 10 straight points to close out the first half to take a 40-31 lead into halftime. Dallas Hoffman capped the run on a three-pointer with 25 seconds to go.
- In the second half, Muhlenberg would take its biggest lead of the game with 13:53 remaining in the contest at 53-39 on a Nate Henty Brown layup.
- The Shoremen would answer with a 21-9 run to trim the lead to 62-60 with 4:19 remaining on a jumper by Alec Lewis.
- On the next possession, Dan Gaines was fouled and would drain two free throws to make it 64-60 and began an 8-0 run for the Mules that was capped on two Gaines foul shots with 1:31 to go that made it 70-60. The closest the Shoremen got in the final 91 seconds was eight points on two occasions.
For The Shoremen (2-6, 0-2 CC)
- Tray Wright (game-high 20 points to match career-high), Austin Allen (12 points and two steals), Daniel Brown (contest-best eight rebounds)
- The Shoremen shot 44% (29-for-66) from the floor, 16% (3-for-19) from three-point range and 46% (5-for-11) from the foul line.
- Washington outscored the Mules in points in the paint (38-30), fast-break points (8-2) and second chance points (11-8) and held a 36-33 advantage of the glass.
- The Shoremen had 13 turnovers.
For Muhlenberg (8-0, 2-0 CC)
- Gaines (16 points, game-best seven assists, team-high six rebounds and two steals), Michael Morreale (13 points), Henty Brown (12 points), Spencer Duke (11 points), Justin Allen (two steals)
- The Mules shot 44% (24-for-55) from the floor, 36% (8-for-22) from three-point range and 82% (18-for-22) from the free throw stripe.
- Muhlenberg outscored WC 16-8 in points off of turnovers and 20-12 in bench points.
- The Mules had 10 turnovers in the contest.
- Wright was named the Goose Nation TV Shoremen Player of the Game. His other 20-point game came in his WC debut on November 9, 2018 at Cairn.
12/7 v. Franklin & Marshall – 3:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference game)
- The Shoremen won all three meetings with the Diplomats last season, including a 63-60 win in the first round of the Centennial Conference Tournament.