Becker Scores Career High 15 Points
CHESTERTOWN, Md. — Visiting Christopher Newport shot 51.6% from the floor and never trailed en route to an 89-57 win over host Washington College in a non-conference men's basketball game played this afternoon at the Cain Athletic Center in Chestertown, Maryland.
Christopher Newport 89, Washington College 57
How It Happened
- The Captains scored the first seven points of the game in the opening 97 seconds and pushed the lead to 10-2 with 17:34 left in the opening half following a three pointer from Jason Aigner. The Captains hit three shots from beyond the arc and a free throw that came in the act of shooting a three as part of their opening 10 points.
- A jumper from Chris Weaver cut the lead to 13-10 with 13:10 left in the half, but Christopher Newport responded with another 7-0 run to take their first double digit lead at 20-10 with 10:23 left in the half on a free throw from Dalon McHugh.
- The 7-0 run grew into a larger 23-6 run as the Captains opened up a 20 point lead at 36-16 with 5:08 to go until halftime on an offensive rebound and putback from McHugh.
- Tray Wright capped the opening half with a layup for the Shoremen with 40 seconds to go to cut the Captains lead to 49-25 at the halftime break.
- Christopher Newport opened the second half on a 13-0 run to grab a 62-25 lead with 14:16 left following a layup from Luther Gibbs.
- The Captains took their largest lead of the game with 4:25 to go, as a pair of free throws from Keyshawn Jefferson gave the Captains a 44 point lead at 87-43.
- Washington finished the game from there on a 14-2 run to set the final score, with Dilyn Becker supplying nine of the points for the Shoremen during the run.
For the Shoremen (3-8)
- Becker (career high 15 points), Logan Bunch (career high 11 rebounds).
- The Shoremen shot 35.1% (20-for-57) from the floor in the loss, 23.1% (3-for-13) from three point range, and 58.3% (14-for-24) at the free throw line.
For Christopher Newport (10-4)
- Aigner (game high 17 points), Tyler Trimble (12 points), Nick Parks (11 points), McHugh (nine points, 10 rebounds, two steals).
- The Captains shot 51.6% (33-for-64) from the floor in the win, 44% (11-for-25) from three point range, and 66.7% (12-for-18) at the free throw line.
- Christopher Newport held a 43-33 advantage in rebounds and turned 13 Washington turnovers into 23 points.
- The Captains also had a 38-22 advantage in points in the paint and an 18-4 advantage in second chance points.
- Becker was named the Goose Nation TV Shoremen Player Of The Game on the webcast of the game for the first time in his career.
Up Next for the Shoremen
1/9 @ Haverford - 8:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference game).