Brown and Marshall Score 11 to Lead WC and Wright Nets 10 and Pulls Down Nine Rebounds
CHESTERTOWN, Md. – Visiting Haverford scored the game's first eight points and never trailed on its way to a 74-59 win over host Washington College on Thursday evening at the Cain Athletic Center in Centennial Conference men's basketball action. The Fords improve to 15-5 overall and 10-3 in the Centennial, while the Shoremen fall to 7-13 and 5-8 respectively.
Haverford 74 Washington College 59
How It Happened
- Haverford scored the game's first eight points to lead 8-0 following a three-pointer by Joe Wujciak 2:30 into the game. The Fords would score seven of the next nine points to cap their opening run of 15-2 with 15:25 remaining in the first half on a traditional three-point play by Jackson Ryan.
- Nate Torres would push Haverford's lead to 20 at 39-19, the biggest lead of the game for the visitors, on two free throws with 5:55 remaining in the opening half.
- The Shoremen would score the final six points of the half to trim the lead to 39-25 at halftime with Austin Allen scoring a transition layup with 4:16 left to cap the scoring.
- In the second half, the Shoremen would cut it to single digits for the first time since early in the game on a layup by Daniel Brown to trim the lead to 43-35 with 16:00 left.
- Trailing 60-46 with 7:40 to go following two Torres free throws, Washington scored eight unanswered points to trim the Haverford lead to six at 60-54 with 5:30 remaining on a Brown lay-in.
- That's as close as Washington would get as Haverford scored five quick points to push the lead back to double digits at 11. Wujciak canned a three with 5:09 remaining to make it 63-54 and after a WC miss, Jesse Turkson netted a layup to make it 65-54 with 4:39 to go.
- Washington would get it within nine twice the rest of the way as Haverford outscored WC 14-5 after the Shoremen got it within six.
For The Shoremen (7-13, 5-8 CC)
- Dallas Marshall and Brown (11 points), Tray Wright (10 points and game-best nine rebounds)
- The Shoremen shot 41% (24-for-58) from the floor, 14% (1-for-7) from three-point range and 71% (10-for-14) from the foul line.
- Washington outscored the Fords in fast-break points (4-2).
- The Shoremen committed 14 turnovers.
For Haverford (15-5, 10-3 CC)
- Ryan (15 points to tie for game-high and contest-best three steals), Wujciak (15 points to match game-best), Torres (14 points, 10-for-10 from foul line), Turkson (seven rebounds and two steals), Jack Cork (four assists to lead all players)
- The Fords shot 45% (26-for-58) from the floor, 27% (6-for-22) from three-point range and 73% (16-for-22) from the free throw stripe.
- Haverford outscored WC in bench points (28-15), points off turnovers (13-4) and second-chance points (8-6).
- The Fords had 10 turnovers in the contest.
- Marshall was named the Goose Nation TV Shoremen Player of the Game.
- Each team grabbed 35 rebounds and scored 38 points in the paint in the contest.
2/7 @ #10 Johns Hopkins – 7:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference game)