CHESTERTOWN, Md. — Visiting and eleventh ranked Washington and Lee got three goals apiece from Mike Weaver and Ben Mulholland and kept host Washington College off the scoreboard for a span of 21:07 en route to a 14-8 win in a non-conference men's lacrosse game played today on Kibler Field at Roy Kirby, Jr. Stadium.
#11 Washington and Lee 14, Washington College 8
How It Happened
- Cooper Sloan scored the opening goal off an assist from Charlie Walker just 22 seconds in to give the Shoremen the lead, but the Generals responded just 16 seconds later on an unassisted goal from Jed Londrey to tie the game at 1-1.
- Mulholland gave W&L the lead on an unassisted goal with 13:37 to go in the quarter, before an unassisted goal from Zack Gorrasi tied the game at 2-2 with 11:39 to go.
- The Generals would score the next three goals to take a 5-2 lead with 5:11 left in the opening quarter on an unassisted goal from Hudson Hamill.
- Trey Ritter cut the lead to 5-3 with 3:08 left in the opening quarter, scoring off an assist from Gorassi.
- The Shoremen would then go cold offensively, not scoring again for 21:07 as the Generals scored two more goals to extend the lead to 7-3 at halftime. Gorrasi ended the scoreless spell with an unassisted goal with 12:09 to go in the third quarter, which cut the lead to 7-4.
- Back-to-back goals from Mulholland and Weaver pushed the W&L lead back up to 9-4 with 5:56 left in the third. Cody Pascale then scored off of an assist from Nick Boyles with 3:05 left in the quarter to make it a 9-5 game, before John Broderick would score with just four seconds left in the third to give the Generals a 10-5 lead after three quarters.
- Mulholland gave W&L their largest lead of the game by completing his hat trick with 7:30 to go in the fourth quarter to give the Generals a 13-6 lead. Casey Grieves cut the lead to five with back-to back goals off of assists from Sean Reilly and Sloan, but Garrett Mize would score an unassisted goal with 5:00 to go to set the score at 14-8 as neither team would score again.
For the Shoremen (1-1)
- Scorers: Gorrasi (2 goals, 1 assist), Grieves (two goals), Sloan (1 goal, 1 assist), Reilly (1 goal, 1 assist), Pascale (1 goal), Ritter (1 goal), Walker (1 assist), Kevin Trapp (1 assist), Boyles (1 assist).
- Goalie: Chris Del Rosario (16 saves, 14 goals allowed, 60:00).
- Kyle Gittelman led all players with three caused turnovers.
- The Shoremen went 15-for-26 on their clear attempts, turned the ball over 25 times, and went 2-for-6 on man up opportunities.
For #11 Washington & Lee (2-2)
- Scorers: Weaver (3 goals), Mulholland (3 goals), Matt Huber (2 goals), Hamill (1 goal, 2 assists), Broderick (1 goal), Mize (1 goal), Londrey (1 goal), Taylor Witherell (1 goal), Austin Hudson (1 goal), Thomas Zusi (1 assist), Jack Ware (1 assist), Nick Anders (1 assist).
- Goalie: Jack Taylor (13 saves, 8 goals allowed, 60:00).
- Jack Hodgson won 16-of-17 face offs as the Generals went 18-for-24 as a team.
- Washington and Lee held a 41-36 advantage in shots, a 37-29 edge in ground balls, and also turned the ball over 25 times.
- Gorrasi was named the Goose Nation TV Shoremen Player Of The Game on the webcast of the game for the first time in his career. He has four assists in two games this season, which is a career high, and his four goals this season matches his career high.
Up Next for the Shoremen
3/2 @ Frostburg State - 1:00 p.m.