Grieves Tallies Team-Best Five Points and Scores Four Times to Tie for Game-Best
ST. MARY'S CITY, Md. – Host St. Mary's scored three straight goals in the fourth quarter to turn a 10-9 lead into a 13-9 advantage on its way to a 14-11 win over visiting Washington College at Seahawk Stadium on Saturday afternoon in non-conference men's lacrosse action. The Seahawks improve to 6-3 on the year, while the Shoremen slip to 2-4.
St. Mary's (Md.) 14 Washington College 11
How It Happened
- St. Mary's scored three of the first four goals to take a 3-1 lead with 1:51 left in the first quarter on an Erich Wuesthoff goal on a feed from Max Groen. The Shoremen did get the last goal of the first when Casey Grieves finished off a Cooper Sloan feed with 32 ticks left as the Seahawks led 3-2 after one.
- With the scored tied 4-4 following a Trey Ritter goal for Washington with 4:01 remaining in the second quarter, St. Mary's took a 5-4 lead with 1:17 left in the second quarter on a Groen tally assisted by Dominic Venanzi and that would be the halftime score.
- The Shoremen came out strong in the third quarter with two goals in 59 seconds to take a 6-5 lead on a Sloan unassisted score. Cody Pascale tied the game 22 ticks into the third on a feed from Grieves.
- St. Mary's would score five of the next six goals to take a 10-7 lead with Wuesthoff scoring from Jude Brown with 2:16 left in the third. Ben Claffee put the Seahawks ahead for good with 6:43 remaining in the third on a pass from Venanzi at 8-7. St. Mary's took a 10-8 lead into the fourth quarter.
- In the fourth quarter Joe Tobin trimmed the hosts' lead to 10-9 with 8:18 to go on a helper from Kyle Gittelman, but the Seahawks scored the next three to take a 13-9 lead with 3:34 left on a Claffee tally from Groen.
For The Shoremen (2-4)
- Scoring: Grieves (four goals and one assist), Sloan (two goals and two helpers), Pascale and Kevin Trapp (one goal and one assist)
- In Goal: Chris Del Rosario (60:00, 14 goals allowed, 13 saves)
- Washington was 18-for-19 in clears in the contest and was 2-for-5 on the man-up.
- Lawrence Perk went 15-for-28 on face-offs and scooped a game-high eight ground balls as the Shoremen edged the Seahawks at the X, 15-13.
- Washington had 16 turnovers, while causing three St. Mary's turnovers.
For St. Mary's (Md.) (6-3)
- Scoring: Groen (four goals and four assists for game-high eight points), Brown (four assists), Abe Hubbard (three goals), Venanzi (two goals and two assists), Claffee (two scores),
- In Goal: Ross Snodderly (60:00, 11 goals allowed, 10 saves)
- The Seahawks outshot the Shoremen 49-34.
- Cristian Quiroa (four caused turnovers) and Luke McWright (six ground balls)
- Michael Bucci went 13-for-28 on face-offs.
- The Seahawks were 21-for-22 in clears, 1-for-7 in man-up situations and turned it over nine times, while notching 10 caused turnovers.
- St. Mary's held a 30-22 advantage in ground balls.
3/23 @ #8 Dickinson – 12:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference Game)
- Conference opener.