Grieves Scores Four Times to Lead Shoremen
CHESTERTOWN, Md. – Visiting #9 Ursinus used a 7-1 run spanning the second and third quarters to turn a 3-1 deficit into an 8-4 lead on its way to a 10-7 win over host Washington College at Kibler Field at Roy Kirby, Jr. Stadium on Wednesday evening in Centennial Conference men's lacrosse action. The ninth-ranked Bears improve to 7-1 overall and 1-1 in the Centennial, while the Shoremen are 2-6 and 0-2 respectively.
#9 Ursinus 10 Washington College 7
How It Happened
- Neither team scored in the first quarter.
- After Peter DeSimone scored 21 seconds into the second quarter to give the Bears a 1-0 lead, the Shoremen scored the next three times to take a 3-1 lead with 5:16 left in the second quarter on a Casey Grieves goal from Trey Ritter.
- Kevin Trapp ended Ursinus' two-goal run to give Washington a 4-3 lead with 2:19 left on a feed from Cody Pascale.
- Bobby McClure gave the Bears a 5-4 lead into the half as he stole a Shoremen clearing pass and put Ursinus ahead for good with 32 ticks left in the second quarter.
- The Bears scored the first three goals of the third to take an 8-4 lead on an Evan Scott transition goal with 8:01 remaining in the third.
- Washington would get within three goals on three occasions the rest of the way, but would not draw any closer.
For The Shoremen (2-6, 0-2 CC)
- Scoring: Grieves (four goals)
- In Goal: Chris Del Rosario (58:09, nine goals allowed, 11 saves), Ryan Leahy (1:51, one goal, one save)
- Washington was 15-for-19 in clears in the contest and was 1-for-4 on the man-up.
- Lawrence Park took all of Washington's 20 face-offs, winning 14, and scooping up a game-high 10 ground balls.
- Washington had 24 turnovers, while causing three Ursinus turnovers.
For #9 Ursinus (7-1, 1-1 CC)
- Scoring: McClure (four goals and one assist), DeSimone (three goals and two helpers), Hakan Atillasoy (two assists and one goal)
- In Goal: Nick Kirk (60:00, seven goals allowed, nine saves)
- The Bears outshot the Shoremen 54-33.
- Scott (five ground balls for team-high)
- The Bears were 18-for-24 in clears, 0-for-2 in man-up situations and turned it over 16 times, while notching 10 caused turnovers.
- Ursinus held a 37-32 advantage in ground balls.
- Grieves was named the Goose Nation TV Shoremen Player of the Game on the webcast.
3/30 v. McDaniel – 3:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference Game)
- Shoremen won 16-8 last season in Westminster, Md.
- Senior Day.