Senior Has Eight-Point Night to Reach 100 Career Goals, 150 Career Points
SWARTHMORE, Pa. — Senior attackman Casey Grieves (Easton, Md./Sts. Peter & Paul) scored six goals, including the 100th of his career, and added two assists as the visiting Washington College men's lacrosse team topped Swarthmore, 12-7, in a Centennial Conference game tonight on Clothier Field. Grieves also passed the 150 career point mark in the win.
Washington College 12, Swarthmore 7
How It Happened
- Dylan Rittenhouse put the Garnet on the board with a goal 1:37 into the game. Will Vespole followed with a goal off a Zander Levitz assist with 9:05 left in the first to push the lead to 2-0. The Shoremen's first goal came 2:03 later when Cooper Sloan found the back of the net off a Grieves assist. Sloan then assisted on a Kevin Trapp goal with 5:38 remaining in the first to even the score at 2-2. A pair of quick back-to-back goals by Grieves, both assisted by Sloan, with 2:03 and then 1:56 left, respectively, gave the Shoremen a 4-2 lead after the first quarter. The first of those two goals was the 100th of his collegiate career.
- Trapp scored off a Nick Boyles assist with 13:39 left in the second and Grieves followed with a goal off a Zack Gorrasi pass 31 seconds later for a 6-2 Shoremen lead. Mason Evarts then scored for the Garnet off a Jake Ross feed at 12:31, but Jeremy Wilson answered with a goal off a Grieves assist 48 seconds later for a 7-3 Washington advantage. Wilson then fed Grieves for a goal with 8:05 left to increase the lead to five goals. Ross found Ryan Mulvey for a Swarthmore goal with 7:08 to play in the second to trim the margin to 8-4.
- The score remained 8-4 until Trapp scored off a Wilson feed with 7:32 left in the third to extend the lead to five goals. Grieves found the back of the net with 4:25 remaining in the third off a Sloan assist for the Shoremen's 10th goal.
- Grieves scored his sixth goal of the game to open the fourth quarter scoring 1:58 into period as the lead grew to 11-4. Mulvey scored off a Quin Seivold assist for the Garnet with 11:06 remaining and Bryan Murray followed with a goal off an Evarts assist with 10:15 to go to make the score 11-6. Sloan then found the back of the net for the Shoremen's 12th goal with 7:57 to play. Vespole tacked on the final goal for Swarthmore with 2:02 left.
For the Shoremen (7-8, 4-3 Centennial Conference)
- Scoring Leaders: Grieves (6 goals, 2 assists); Sloan (2 goals, 4 assists); Trapp (3 goals); Wilson (goal, 2 assists)
- In Goal: Chris Del Rosario (20 saves, 7 goals allowed, 60:00)
- The Shoremen won despite being outshot, 52-43, thanks in part to Del Rosario's fifth game of 20 or more saves this season.
For Swarthmore (8-6, 1-6 Centennial Conference)
- Scoring Leaders: Mulvey (2 goals); Vespole (2 goals); Evarts (goal, assist); Ross (2 assists)
- In Goal: Frankie Dillon (10 saves, 12 goals allowed, 60:00)
- Grieves now has 105 career goals and 47 career assists in three seasons at Washington College for 152 points in a Shoremen uniform. He also had one assist as a freshman at Hobart in 2015 for a total of 153 collegiate points.
4/27 @ #9 Gettysburg - 1 p.m. (Centennial Conference game)
- A win over the Bullets coupled with an Ursinus win over Dickinson Saturday would put the Shoremen in the Centennial Conference Tournament.