Grieves Scores Three Times and Trapp Tallies Three Points
GETTYSBURG, Pa. – Leading 8-7 heading into the fourth quarter, host #9 Gettysburg scored four of the five goals in the last 15 minutes of the game to come away with a 12-8 win over visiting Washington College at Shirk Field at Musselman Stadium on Saturday afternoon in Centennial Conference men's lacrosse action. The Bullets improve to 13-3 on the year and 7-1 in the Centennial, while the Shoremen conclude their season at 7-9 and 4-4 respectively.
#9 Gettysburg 12 Washington College 8
How It Happened
- Gettysburg scored four of the game's first five goals to lead 4-1 with 6:23 left in the first quarter following a goal by Jack Fletcher with Elon Tuckman notching the assist. Trey Ritter got the Shoremen within two after the first as he scored the last goal of the quarter with 4:14 remaining.
- Kevin Trapp trimmed the Bullets' lead to 4-3 with 8:15 to go in the second quarter before Gettysburg scored four unanswered times in a span of 5:16 to take an 8-3 advantage with 2:43 left in the second on a Jack Harvey score from Fletcher. The Bullets took an 8-4 lead into halftime as Zack Gorrasi scored unassisted for Washington with 1:20 remaining to cap scoring prior to half.
- Casey Grieves scored all three goals in the third quarter as Washington cut Gettysburg's edge to just one at 8-7 after three. His third one came with 18 ticks left in the quarter.
- The Bullets scored the first two goals of the fourth to lead 10-7 with 9:50 remaining in the contest on a Harvey goal. Trapp would respond 31 seconds later on a man-up goal to trim the deficit to 10-8, but that's as close as Washington would get as Gettysburg scored the last two goals to come away with a four-goal win.
For The Shoremen (7-9, 4-4 CC)
- Scoring: Grieves (three goals), Trapp (two goals and one assist), Gorrasi (two scores), Jeremy Wilson (two helpers)
- In Goal: Chris Del Rosario (60:00, 12 goals allowed, eight saves)
- Washington was 17-for-22 in clears in the contest and was 1-for-5 on the man-up.
- Washington had 18 turnovers, while causing five Gettysburg turnovers.
For #9 Gettysburg (13-3, 7-1 CC)
- Scoring: Michael McCormick (two goals and three assists), Brian Kolen (four scores), Fletcher (three goals and one assist), Harvey (two goals and two assists), Tuckman (two assists and one goal)
- In Goal: Scott Macmillan (60:00, eight goals allowed, nine saves)
- The Bullets outshot the Shoremen 48-35.
- Gettysburg went 15-for-23 on face-offs with Joe Persche going 14-for-21 as he got a game-high six ground balls.
- The Bullets were 16-for-21 in clears, 0-for-1 in man-up situations and turned it over 16 times, while notching 10 caused turnovers.
- Gettysburg held a 36-32 advantage in ground balls.
- 12 seniors represented the Shoremen for the final time today and they were Gorrasi, Grieves, Ritter, Trapp, Nick Boyles, JP Crowley, Cole Handy, Carson Metzker, Brady O'Neill, Charlie Walker and Kevin Wilson along with manager Adam Roth.