#14 Bears Down Shoremen, 18-6
Brennan Nets Two for Washington
COLLEGEVILLE, Pa. – Host #14 Ursinus got out to an 8-1 lead on its way to an 18-6 win over visiting Washington College in Centennial Conference men's lacrosse action on Wednesday night at Patterson Field. The Bears are 1-0 overall and in the conference, while the Shoremen are 2-2 and 1-1 respectively.
#14 Ursinus 18 Washington College 6
How It Happened
- Joe Maimone put Washington on the board first as he scored 92 seconds into the first quarter unassisted.
- Ursinus would answer 1:23 later to tie the game at 1-1 on a Tyler Neal unassisted goal.
- The Bears would score twice in five seconds to take a 3-1 advantage with Jerry Bardol scoring with 10:20 to go in the first from Neal and five ticks later Rei Lopez scored off the face-off.
- Joe Mercurio scored from Aaron Grill with 8:04 remaining in the first to make it 4-1 and Hakan Atillasoy completed the first quarter scoring to give Ursinus a 5-1 lead after one.
- Ursinus scored the first three goals of the second quarter to lead 8-1 with 6:52 to go on an Aaron Grill score before Brady McFalls scored from Logan Clefisch to trim the lead to 8-2 with 3:20 remaining.
- Luke Brennan would get WC's second straight goal with 1:41 remaining in the second from McFalls and the Ursinus lead was reduced to 8-3 and that would be the halftime score.
- Kain Domenech scored unassisted 18 seconds into the third quarter to cut the lead to 8-4. After Tommy Reinhart ended the three-goal run to make it 9-4 from Mercurio with 12:08 to go in the third, Brennan got the deficit back to four at 9-5 just 57 seconds later.
- The Bears would close out the third with five unanswered goals to take a 14-5 lead heading into the fourth with Mercurio capping the run on a feed from Neal.
- In the fourth quarter, Ursinus outscored Washington, 4-1, to provide the final margin.
For The Shoremen (2-2, 1-1 CC)
- Scoring: Brennan (two goals), McFalls (goal and assist)
- In Goal: Chris Del Rosario (60:00, 18 goals allowed, nine saves)
- Joey Sivo (team-best five ground balls)
- Washington had 21 turnovers, caused eight Ursinus turnovers and went 0-for-7 on the man-up.
- The Shoremen were 13-for-19 in clears.
For Ursinus (1-0, 1-0 CC)
- Scoring: Neal (three goals and seven assists), Atillasoy (three goals and two assists), Reinhart (three goals), Mercurio (two goals and assist), Grill (one goal and two assists), Jake Ojert (two goals)
- In Goal: Chris Porzelt (60:00, six goals allowed, 11 saves)
- Lopez (13 face-off wins and eight ground balls)
- Ursinus held a 49-39 advantage in shots and 43-26 in ground balls.
- The Bears were 14-for-18 in clears, 2-for-3 in man-up situations and turned it over 20 times, while notching three caused turnovers.
4/17 v. #17 Franklin & Marshall – 3:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference Game)