Jenkins Scores From Graham for WC
BALTIMORE, Md. – Host Johns Hopkins came away with a 2-1 win over visiting Washington College in a Centennial Conference men's soccer match at Homewood Field on Wednesday afternoon. The Blue Jays improve to 6-3 overall, while the Shoremen fall to 4-4-1 on the year as both teams are 1-2-0 in conference play.
Johns Hopkins 2 Washington College 1
How It Happened
- The Blue Jays took a lead 5:59 into the match when Griffin Cyphers, who took the corner kick that started the play, scored off of a double assist from Pablo Martinez and Connor Jacobs.
- Martinez made it 2-0 in the 30th minute when he finished a feed from Cyphers from the top of the 18 into the lower left corner after Cyphers stole the ball from a Washington defender.
- Washington got on the board on its first shot of the match when Del Jenkins got control of a throw-in from Brian Graham and put the shot into the goal just under the crossbar to trim the lead to 2-1 with 2:46 remaining in the first half and that would be the halftime score.
- In the second half, the Shoremen nearly tied it in the 61st minute on a shot from James Strine from 35 yards out, but his left footed shot went just wide to the left. Six minutes later Kyle Kirwan took the Shoremen's last shot, but it went wide.
- Johns Hopkins almost made it 3-1 at the 67:17 mark on a shot by Achim Younker, but it sailed just wide to the right.
- The Blue Jays were forced to play a man down for the final 15:35 of the match due to a red card, but Washington could not muster a shot to tie the contest during the man advantage and Hopkins held on for the win.
For The Shoremen (4-4-1, 1-2-0 CC)
- Scoring: Jenkins (goal), Graham (assist)
- Goalkeeper: Josh Samuels (2 saves, 2 goals allowed, 90:00)
- Washington had three shots and three corner kicks in the contest.
For Johns Hopkins (6-3-0, 1-2-0 CC)
- Scoring: Cyphers (goal and assist), Martinez (goal and assist), Jacobs (assist)
- Goalkeeper: Xander Lefevre (0 saves, 1 goal, 90:00)
- Blue Jays took 10 shots and registered six corner kicks in the match.
- The Shoremen and Blue Jays played their sixth straight one-goal contest.
9/29 v. McDaniel – 7:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference Match)