LANCASTER, Pa. — Host and 21st ranked Franklin & Marshall scored four goals in the second half to post a 4-0 win over visiting Washington College in a Centennial Conference men's soccer game played today at Tylus Field in Lancaster, Pennsylvania.
#21 Franklin & Marshall 4, Washington College 0
How It Happened
- The Diplomats had the only shot on goal of the opening half, coming on a header from Steven Yakita in the 17th minute, which was saved by Shoremen goalkeeper Josh Samuels.
- Franklin & Marshall took a 1-0 lead with 35:55 to go when Connor Whitacre headed a lofted pass to the far post from Dallen Moore into the bottom right of the goal.
- Christian Avila Nere doubled the lead to 2-0 with 23:19 to go, taking a cross from Max Geuder at the top of the box and firing a low shot into the lower left corner.
- Evan Savoth almost put the Shoremen on the board with 8:56 to go, but his header off of a free kick went just wide of the goal.
- Jack Brandt pushed the Diplomats lead to 3-0 with 6:20 to play, heading home a cross from Jim Connolly at the far post into the middle right side of the goal.
- Brandt would score his second goal just 1:12 later, assisted once again by Connolly, taking a cross to the far post and scoring into the lower right corner from five yards out to make it a 4-0 game and cap the scoring.
For the Shoremen (5-7-3 Overall, 2-4-2 Centennial Conference)
- Scorers: None.
- Goalkeeper: Samuels (six saves, four goals allowed, 90:00).
For #21 Franklin & Marshall (12-2-2 Overall, 5-1-2 Centennial Conference)
- Scorers: Brandt (two goals), Neres (one goal), Whitacre (one goal), Connolly (two assists), Moore (one assist), Geuder (one assist).
- Goalkeeper: Sebastian Jenkins (zero saves, zero goals allowed, 83:40), Josh Gotlib (zero saves, zero goals allowed, 6:20).
- The Diplomats enjoyed an 18-5 advantage in shots, including a 10-0 advantage in shots on goal, and held a 9-2 advantage in corner kicks.
- The loss eliminates the Shoremen from contention for a Centennial Conference playoff spot.
Up Next for the Shoremen
10/23 v. Goucher - 7:00 p.m.
- The two teams played to a scoreless tie last year despite combining for 46 total shots and 17 shots on goal.