Six Different Shoremen Score in Win
CHESTERTOWN, Md. — Six different players scored goals as the host Washington College men's soccer team rolled past Goucher, 6-0, in a non-conference game this afternoon on Kibler Field at Roy Kirby, Jr. Stadium.
Washington College 6, Goucher 1
How It Happened
- The Shoremen got on the board when Greg Adams stole the ball from a Goucher defender near the end line and passed it back to James Strine, who fired it into the right-side of the goal at 28:02.
- Strine then assisted on a goal by Frank Koons, faking multiple defenders and then sending a pass to the right of the goal to Koons, who sent the ball into the lower corner at 30:50.
- Koons drew a foul in the box in the 36th minute, but Strine's ensuing penalty kick went off the crossbar.
- Strine assisted on an impressive goal by Cole Gifford in the 43rd. String sent a half-field pass far ahead to Gifford, who timed his break perfectly to remain onside and angled the shot in from 23 yards out at 42:44.
- Remy Kriz tacked on the Shoremen's fourth goal when he scored from right in front of the goal after receiving a cross from the endline from Adams at 70:05.
- Trevor Zinkand scored the fifth goal off a pass ahead from Zack Urbanski at 73:09.
- Urbanski scored a goal of his own at 87:21 from near the edge of the box to make it a half-dozen goals on the day for the Shoremen.
- The Gophers got on the board with just 27 seconds left when Yaya Diabagate scored off an assist from Xavier Dever.
For the Shoremen (4-1)
- Scorers: Strine (goal, 2 assists), Urbanski (goal, assist) Koons (goal), Gifford (goal), Kriz (goal), Zinkand (goal), Adams (2 assists)
- Goalkeeper: Gavin Campbell (1 save, 0 goals allowed, 46:46); Austin Heid (1 save, 0 goals allowed, 26:23); Tim Loeffler (0 saves, 1 goal allowed, 16:51)
- The Shoremen finished the game with an 21-6 advantage in shots and a 9-2 edge in corner kicks.
For Goucher (1-4)
- Scorers: Diabagate (goal), Dever (assist)
- Goalkeeper: Joe May (6 saves, 5 goals allowed, 90:00)
- Strine was named the Goose Nation TV Shoremen Player of the Game.
- The goals for Koons, Zinkand, and Gifford were the first of their respective collegiate careers. Strine's goal was his fifth of the season.
9/14 v. Randolph - 4 p.m.