Strine Scores In Loss For Shoremen
SWARTHMORE, Pa. — Host Swarthmore took the lead on a penalty kick in the 60th minute and defeated visiting Washington College 2-1 in a Centennial Conference men's soccer game played tonight on Clothier Field in Swarthmore, Pennsylvania.
Swarthmore 2, Washington College 1
How It Happened
- Bless Tumushabe had the first shot on goal of the game 7:56 into the contest, but it was saved. Cole Gifford took the only shot on goal of the opening half for the Shoremen in the 12th minute, but it was also saved.
- Swarthmore took the lead just 1:51 in to the second half when Woojin Shin took a pass from Joe Barile and rocketed a shot from the top of the box into the top right corner.
- Washington tied the game with 36:50 to play when James Strine scored his eighth goal of the season.
- The Garnet took the lead with 31:00 to go when Trevor Homstad converted a penalty kick.
- The Shoremen only managed three shots after the goal, with none of them going on target.
For the Shoremen (7-8-1 Overall, 1-6-1 Centennial Conference)
- Scorers: Strine (goal).
- Goalkeeper: Gavin Campbell (three saves, two goals allowed, 90:00).
- Washington was whistled for 21 fouls and shown two yellow cards in the game.
For Swarthmore (11-2-3 Overall, 4-2-2 Centennial Conference)
- Scorers: Shin (goal), Homstad (goal), Barile (assist).
- Goalkeeper: Oliver Steinglass (one save, one goal allowed, 90:00).
- Swarthmore held an 11-7 advantage in shots and a 4-3 edge in corner kicks.
Up Next for the Shoremen
11/2 @ Muhlenberg - 7:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference game).
- The game will serve as the season finale.