Adams Scores For WC
ALLENTOWN, Pa. – Host Muhlenberg scored a goal in each half and held off a late charge from visiting Washington College to come away with a 2-1 win at Varsity Field on Saturday evening in a Centennial Conference men's soccer match. The Mules improve to 9-6-2 overall and 2-6-1 in the Centennial, while the Shoremen finish their campaign at 7-9-1 and 1-7-1 respectively.
Muhlenberg 2 Washington College 1
How It Happened
- Washington nearly took the lead in the eighth minute as Harrison Malone rang a shot off the left side of the crossbar.
- Muhlenberg would get on the board at the 15:32 mark when Gnim Bazim gathered the ball off of a corner kick taken by Matt Athanas-Linden and put the shot into the right side from the left side of the box.
- Zack Urbanski had a chance to tie it in the 36th minute, but his shot was turned away by a diving Raymond Leto.
- Mark Winter had a chance to put the Mules ahead by two with two seconds left in the first half, but Austin Heid made the save and time ran out.
- In the second half, the Shoremen had two shots in a span of eight seconds in the 54th minute, but Leto turned away shots by James Strine and Cole Gifford respectively.
- Winter would give Muhlenberg a 2-0 advantage when he received a pass from Taylan Akdag and from just outside of the top of the box from the left side put the shot into the lower right corner at 77:42.
- Greg Adams would get Washington on the board with 1:59 left in the second half as he scored unassisted as he slipped a shot in the goal on the short side of Leto after receiving a pass from James Strine from about 10 yards out on the right side. But the Shoremen were unable to generate another scoring chance and the Mules came away with the win.
For The Shoremen (7-9-1, 1-7-1 CC)
- Scoring: Adams (goal), J. Strine (assist)
- Goalkeeper: Heid (1 save, 2 goals allowed, 90:00)
- Washington had 11 shots and took two corner kicks in the match.
For Muhlenberg (9-6-2, 2-6-1 CC)
- Scoring: Bazim (goal), Winter (goal), Akdag (assist), Athanas-Linden (assist)
- Goalkeeper: Leto (5 saves, 1 goals allowed, 90:00)
- The Mules took seven shots in the contest and had five corners.
- Four seniors, Kyle Gaeffke, Sean Garin, Liam Mansfield and Evan Savoth, represented the Shoremen for the final time today. They were members of the 2016 team that reached the semifinal round of the Centennial Conference Tournament.