Team Wins 18 of 20 Sets in Singles and Win All Three in Doubles
CHESTERTOWN, Md. – The host Washington College men's tennis team capped its 2019 season on a strong note with a 9-0 victory over visiting Ursinus 6-1 at Schottland Tennis Center on Saturday afternoon in Centennial Conference men's tennis action. It was the season finale for both squads.
Washington College 9 Ursinus 0
- The Shoremen picked up all three wins against the Bears in doubles to lead 3-0. Mitchell Evans and August Meriot got the first win at No. 3 doubles over Simbarashe Kanjanda and Kyle Bookman, 8-2. The second match to conclude was at No. 1 doubles as the team of Jake Sandler and Andrew Smith came away with an 8-4 victory over Mason Groff and Matt Fontanese. No. 2 doubles was the third and final one to conclude and the Shoremen's tandem of Koby Bonta and Kyle Hickey prevailed, 8-3, over Connor DeFaber-Schumacher and Jake Lachowicz.
- Bonta won the first singles match to finish as he beat Kanjanda at No. 4, 6-1, 6-1. WC clinched the match when Meriot won at No. 3 over Fontanese, 6-2, 6-4, as it was the second match to finish in singles.
- Hickey went three sets to win at No. 2 singles over DeFaber-Schumacher, 4-6, 6-3, 11-9. Next to finish was Evans at No. 6 as he downed Bookman, 6-1, 6-3.
- Rounding out the singles, Sandler topped Groff in three sets, 3-6, 6-3, 7-6 (9-7) at No. 1 and the last match to conclude was Smith winning 6-4, 7-5 at No. 5 against Lachowicz.
- Washington concludes the season at 6-8 overall and 4-5 in the Centennial, while Ursinus finishes at 7-11 and 2-7 respectively.
- Sandler played in his final match for the Shoremen today as he is the team's lone senior.