Harcum Tosses Complete Game Win In Game One and Bennett Goes All The Way In Game Two
GETTYSBURG, Pa. – Visiting Washington College took both ends of a Centennial Conference softball doubleheader from host Gettysburg on Sunday afternoon at Bobby Jones Field. The Shorewomen broke a 1-1 tie with two runs in the top of the seventh inning to win 3-1 in game one and held off a rally by the Bullets in game two to notch a 3-2 win. The Shorewomen swept the Bullets in a doubleheader in Gettysburg for the first time and overall for just the third time in program history as they swept the Bullets at home in 1997 and 2014.
Washington College 3 Gettysburg 1 (Game 1)
How It Happened
- The Shorewomen took a 1-0 lead in the top of the third inning when Allyson Meil, who led off the frame with a single, scored on a suicide squeeze bunt by Maddie Bennett.
- Gettysburg would tie the game in the last of the fifth when Nicole Farese scored on a one out sacrifice fly to centerfield by Jamie Abell.
- In the top of the seventh, Washington plated a pair of runs to take a 3-1 lead, both coming with two outs. Leah Stokes scored on a fielding error to give Washington a 2-1 lead and Erin Spinden ripped double to left-center to score Taylor Harcum to give the Shorewomen a two-run lead heading into the last of the seventh.
- In the last of the seventh, Harcum retired the Bullets in order to earn the complete game win and give the Shorewomen the opening game of the twinbill.
For The Shorewomen (13-12, 3-2 CC)
- Hitting: Meil (2-for-4, run, stolen base), Harcum (2-for-3, run)
- Pitching: Harcum (win 7-4, complete game, five hits, one run, zero earned, one walk, seven strikeouts)
- Washington committed two errors and led to one Gettysburg unearned run.
- The Shorewomen had eight hits and did not draw a walk in the game.
For Gettysburg (13-6, 2-1 CC)
- Hitting: Abell (2-for-2, RBI, steal)
- Pitching: Aileen Reilly (loss 5-4, complete game, eight hits, three runs, one earned, zero walks and five strikeouts)
- Gettysburg had three errors, leading to two Washington unearned runs.
- The Bullets had five hits and drew one base on balls.
- The Bullets left six on base, while the Shorewomen left seven on base.
- Washington ended Gettysburg's 11-game Centennial Conference home winning streak which dated back to the 2015 season.
Washington College 3 Gettysburg 2 (Game 2)
How It Happened
- Gettysburg got the first two runners on base in last of the first inning on base hits by Taylor Doi and Abell, but Bennett got the next three batters to leave them stranded.
- In the top half of the third, the Shorewomen got a pair of runs off of consecutive two out hits to take a 2-0 lead. Elaina DiPrimio doubled to right to score Meil to make it 1-0 and DiPrimio would score the second run of the inning when the next hitter Bennett singled to right-center.
- The Shorewomen got the first two runners on in the top of the fifth inning, but could not score as the Bullets got out of the inning with a fly out and two fielder's choices.
- Stokes would make it 3-0 when she scored on a base hit to right off the bat of Harcum with two outs in the top of the sixth.
- The Bullets got onto the board with two outs in the last of the sixth. Sam Misurell singled to center to score Farese to cut it to 3-1. On the play, an error allowed Abby Zalucki to score from second to trim the lead to 3-2. With the tying run on base, Bennett would get Carliana Folfas, who represented the go ahead run, to strike out to preserve the lead.
- In the bottom of the seventh, Doi worked out a one out walk and Abell was at the plate representing the winning run. Abell hit a liner to first base that was snagged by Gabrielle Edwards for the second out and Edwards doubled up Doi at first to complete the double play, end the game and complete the doubleheader sweep.
For The Shorewomen (14-12, 4-2 CC)
- Hitting: DiPrimio (3-for-4, run, RBI), Meil (3-for-4, run)
- Pitching: Bennett (win 7-7, complete game, seven hits, two runs, one earned, two walks, nine strikeouts)
- The Shorewomen had 10 hits in the game and worked out one walk.
- WC had one error in the field, leading to one unearned run for Gettysburg.
For Gettysburg (13-7, 2-2 CC)
- Hitting: Meredith Taylor (2-for-3)
- Pitching: Morgan Clauser (loss 8-2, completed game, 10 hits, three runs, two earned, one walk, two strikeouts)
- The Bullets had seven hits and worked out two walks in the second game.
- Gettysburg committed one error in the field and led to one unearned run for the Shorewomen.
- WC left 10 on base, while Gettysburg left six.
- The Shorewomen are 8-2 against the Bullets in their last 10 meetings, dating back to 2013.
4/5 @ Catholic – 3:00 p.m. (Non-Conference Doubleheader)
- The two teams split a twinbill last April in Chestertown.