Harcum Goes 5-for-5 at Plate in Twin Bill
CHESTERTOWN, Md. — Visiting Gettysburg College swept host Washington College in a Centennial Conference softball double-header this afternoon. The Bullets won the first game, 5-1, and then took the second game, 11-2, in a contest that was ended after five innings due to the eight-run rule.
Gettysburg 5, Washington College 1 (Game 1)
How It Happened
- The Bullets scored twice in the top of the first as Sarahrose Jonik scored on a throwing error and Rachel Julie was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded. Washington got one back in the bottom of the first when Elaina DiPrimio drove in a run with a ground out.
- Gettysburg picked up its third run when Wendy Folfas hit a two-out pop up in the infield that dropped between three Washington players and drove in a run.
- Stephanie Leonardo doubled to right center in the top of the sixth to drive in the Bullets' fourth run. Jessica Ken-Kwofie scored the fifth on a dropped infield fly in the top of the seventh.
For the Shorewomen (8-13, 1-2 Centennial Conference)
- Hitting: Taylor Harcum (3-for-3); Allyson Meil (hit, walk, run); DiPrimio (hit, RBI)
- Pitching: Harcum (loss, 6.2 innings, 5 hits, 5 runs, 3 earned runs, 8 walks, 5 strikeouts); Milly Kawabata (0.1 innings, 1 strikeout)
For Gettysburg (4-9, 1-0 Centennial Conference)
- Hitting: Leonardo (hit, run, RBI); Cowell (3 walks, run); Julie (hit, RBI); Folfas (hit, RBI); Sophia Blasius (hit, walk, run); Jonik (walk, run)
- Pitching: Aileen Reilly (win, 7 innings, 5 hits, 1 run, 2 walks, 7 strikeouts)
- Harcum was named the Goose Nation TV Shorewomen Player of the Game
Gettysburg 11, Washington College 2 (Five Innings) (Game 2)
How It Happened
- The Bullets got on the scoreboard early again in the second game. Meredith Taylor singled in a run, Rachel Julie singled in a run, Taylor and Shelby Baker scored on an error, and Julie scored on a fielder's choice - all in the first inning - for a 5-0 lead.
- The Shorewomen got a run back in the bottom of the first thanks to an RBI single by Harcum.
- Taylor homered to left field and Liz Cowell drove in a run with a sacrifice fly to extend the lead to 7-1 in the top of the second.
- Bake was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded in the top of the third to extend the lead to 8-1. A Folfas single would up driving in one run and then saw another run score during the same play due to a throwing error to make it 10-1.
- An RBI double to left center by Harcum in the bottom of the third scored Washington's second run, but the Bullets got it back in the top of the fourth on an RBI single by Taylor.
For the Shorewomen (8-14, 1-3 Centennial Conference)
- Hitting: Harcum (2-fir-2, double, 2 RBI); Meil (1-for-2, 2 runs)
- Pitching: Rachel Butler (loss, 1 inning, 6 hits, 7 runs, 6 earned runs, 2 walks); Harcum (1.1 innings, 2 hits, 3 runs, 2 earned runs, 2 walks, 1 strikeouts); Kawabata (2.2 innings, 3 hits, 1 run, 0 walks, 3 strikeouts)
For Gettysburg (5-9, 2-0 Centennial Conference)
- Hitting: Taylor (3-for-3, home run, 3 RBI, 3 runs, walk); Blasius (2-for-4, 2 runs, double); Folfas (2-for-3, RBI); Julie (hit, 2 RBI, run); Baker (hit, two walks, 3 runs); Jonik (hit, walk, 2 runs, double, stolen base)
- Pitching: Morgan Clauser (win, 5 innings, 6 hits, 2 runs, 1 walk, 3 strikeouts)
- Kawabata was named the Goose Nation TV Shorewomen Player of the Game.
Up Next for the Shorewomen
4/4 @ Muhlenberg (2) - 3:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference double-header)