Bennett Fires Three-Hit Shutout In Game One Win
SWARTHMORE, Pa. – Visiting Washington College and host Swarthmore split a Centennial Conference softball doubleheader on Wednesday afternoon at Clothier Softball Field. The Shorewomen won game one 1-0 before the Garnet took game two by a 2-0 score. The Shorewomen are 12-18 overall and 4-6 in the Centennial, while the Garnet are 15-9 and 5-5 respectively.
Washington College 1 Swarthmore 0 (Game 1)
How It Happened
- The Shorewomen scored the game's only run in the top of the fifth inning when Taylor Harcum singled in Caroline Braungard on a base hit down the right field line.
- Swarthmore had two runners on in the last of the fifth with two outs, but a force out ended the threat.
- The Garnet had a runner on with nobody in the in the bottom of the seventh in Hannah Thompson, but she was called out for leaving first base early and that was Swarthmore's last runner of the game.
For The Shorewomen (12-17, 4-5 CC)
- Hitting: Harcum (2-for-3, RBI)
- Pitching: Maddie Bennett (win 2-1, complete game blanking, three hits, zero walks, one strikeouts)
- WC had six hits and drew zero walks, while leaving four on base.
- The Shorewomen had one error in the win.
For Swarthmore (14-9, 4-5 CC)
- Hitting: Kennedy Kings (double)
- Pitching: Emily Bowman (loss 6-3, complete game, six hits, one run, one earned, zero walks, seven strikeouts)
- The Garnet had three hits, worked out zero walks and had two get on due a hit by pitch, while stranding five runners on base.
-Swarthmore committed two errors in the field, leading to zero unearned runs for the Shorewomen.
- Bennett tossed her first complete game of 2018 and her second shutout all-time at Swarthmore as she threw a no-hitter in 2016 in a 5-0 victory.
Swarthmore 2 Washington College 0 (Game 2)
How It Happened
- The Garnet took the lead in the bottom of the third when Emilie Morse stole home as part of a double steal with Frankie Ponziani with two away.
- Ponziani made it 2-0 when she singled down the right field line with two outs to score Kings.
- In the top of the sixth inning with two away Bennett reached on a double to left and got Gabby Edwards to the dish as the tying run, but Edwards flied out to center to end the inning.
- Regan Horan doubled with one out to get the tying run to the plate, but Lucy Decker got a fly out by Caroline Braungard and a ground out by Rachel Butler to end it.
For The Shorewomen (12-18, 4-6 CC)
- Hitting: Bennett, DiPrimio and Horan (1-for-3, double)
- Pitching: Harcum (loss 5-11, five innings, seven hits, two runs, two earned, two walks, three strikeouts),
- Washington had five hits and drew two walks, while leaving six stranded on the basepaths.
- The Shorewomen did not commit an error in the game.
For Swarthmore (15-9, 5-5 CC)
- Hitting: Kings (2-for-3, run)
- Pitching: Lucy Decker (win 6-2, complete game shutout, five hits, two walks, one strikeout)
- The Garnet had six hits and worked out two walks, while leaving seven runners on base.
- Swarthmore had one error, but did not lead to an earned run.
4/21 @ Haverford – 1:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference Doubleheader)