Clark Scores Career-High 21 as Shorewomen Never Trailed in Win
BALTIMORE, Md. – The visiting Washington College women's basketball team scored the most points ever in a quarter as they scored 31 in the first quarter on its way to a 76-51 win over host Notre Dame (Md.) on Wednesday night in a non-conference women's basketball game at MBK Sports Complex. The Shorewomen, who eclipsed their previous quarter high by five points, improve to 2-0, while the Gators drop to 1-2. Washington is 2-0 for the first time since 2012-13.
Washington College 76 Notre Dame (Md.) 51
How It Happened
- The Shorewomen, who never trailed in the game, scored the game's first 13 points to lead 13-0 just 3:30 into the game on a Cassidy Quattro free throw. The Shorewomen held the Gators to just one field goal in the first quarter, coming from Ariana Alleyne with 3:53 remaining in the first to cut the Washington to 18-4.
- Washington scored the last 13 points in the first to lead 31-4 after one as Caitlyn Clark capped the scoring on a layup with six seconds left. Clark also scored the record breaking point when she drained a three-pointer with 47 seconds left to give WC a 27-4 advantage as Washington scored 30 in a quarter for the first time.
- In the second quarter, Washington took its biggest lead of the game at 30 points on two free throws by Crystal Jones at 38-8 with 6:02 left in the quarter as the visitors led by as many as 30 in the win. Notre Dame would outscore WC 13-3 the rest of the quarter to trim the halftime lead for Washington to 41-21 as Jaylah Lewis made a three-pointer to beat the buzzer to end the second.
- Washington outscored Notre Dame in the third quarter, 14-12, to take a 55-33 edge into the fourth quarter. The Gators would get it within 16 at 41-25 just 53 ticks into the third on a Ayana Brim lay-in.
- The Shorewomen pulled away in the fourth quarter, outscoring the Gators by a 16-6 margin. WC led by as many as 23 points, which they did on two occasions in the fourth.
For The Shorewomen (2-0)
- Clark (career-high 21 points to go along with four assists), Quattro (11 points), Jones (10 points), Taylor Samuels (nine rebounds and personal-best three blocks), Lizzie Hudock and Olivia Levin (two steals)
- WC shot 44% from the floor (26-for-59), 26% from three-point range (5-for-19) and 66% (19-for-29) from the foul line in the game.
- Washington held a 50-40 advantage in rebounds in the win.
- The Shorewomen turned it over 19 times, while forcing 23 turnovers by the Gators.
For Notre Dame (Md.) (1-2)
- Alleyne (14 points), Lewis (13 points and two steals), Daija Fitchett (game-high nine boards)
- The Gators shot 28% from the floor (19-for-67), 19% from three-point land (3-for-16) and 59% from the foul stripe (10-for-17).
- Notre Dame turned it over 19 times in the contest.
- The 31-point first quarter was the first time Washington has ever scored 30 points in a quarter. The prior high was 26 points which the Shorewomen have done three times the most recent being on February 2. 2019 against Franklin & Marshall in third quarter. NCAA Women's Basketball has been playing quarters since the 2015-16 season.
- Prior to tonight, the most points the Shorewomen scored in a first quarter was 21 at Ursinus on February 7, 2019.
- Clark's prior career-high was 19 against Kalamazoo in December 2017.
- Washington has won seven of the nine all-time meetings.
11/16 v. Muhlenberg – 2:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference Game)
- Conference opener.