Jones Sets Career High With 17 Points
SWARTHMORE, Pa. — Host Swarthmore outscored visiting Washington College 40-27 in the second half to post a 61-55 win in a Centennial Conference women's basketball game played tonight at Tarble Pavillion in Swarthmore, Pennsylvania.
Swarthmore 61, Washington College 55
How It Happened
- The Shorewomen held an early 11-10 lead before scoring six straight points to extend the lead to 17-10 with 3:10 left in the opening quarter following a layup from Crystal Jones.
- The Garnet outscored Washington 6-2 to end the quarter, as a jumper from Isabelle Ewart with three seconds to play cut the lead to 19-16 after the first quarter.
- Erin Cronin got the first point of the second quarter on a free throw to cut the lead to 19-17, but the Shorewomen responded with a 7-0 run to open up a 26-17 lead with 5:02 left in the quarter following a three pointer from Emilee Cramer.
- Gemma Mochi capped the opening half scoring with a layup with 1:27 to go to give Washington a 28-21 lead at the halftime break.
- A three pointer from Jones put the Shorewomen ahead 31-24 with 8:25 left in the third, but Swarthmore went on a 9-0 run to take their first lead since it was a 2-0 game and set the score at 33-31 with 6:37 left in the third on a jump shot from Dana Bandurick.
- A free throw from Cassidy Quattro gave Washington the lead back at 35-34 with 4:49 left in the quarter, but the Garnet would score the next seven points to take the lead for good and open up a 41-35 lead with 1:38 left in the quarter following two free throws from Kendall Tribus.
- The Shorewomen scored the last five points of the quarter, capped on a three from Jones with 16 seconds left, to cut the Swarthmore lead to 41-40 after three quarters of play.
- Swarthmore started the fourth quarter on a 7-2 spurt to open up a 48-43 lead with 7:08 to play on a jumper from Cronin.
- Washington got back within a pair at 52-50 following a layup from Caitlyn Clark with 2:48 to play, but the Garnet would hit three free throws to take a 55-50 lead with 1:19 to go.
- Clark split a pair of free throws to make it a 55-51 game with 1:03 to go, but Swarthmore got two free throws from Bandurick on the next possession to give the Garnet a 57-51 lead.
- Clark responded by hitting a layup with 38 seconds to go to cut the lead to 57-53, and the Garnet would make a free throw the next trip down the floor to set the score at 58-53. Following a missed Washington shot, Swarthmore made another free throw to make it a 59-53 game with 12 seconds left.
- Cramer hit a layup with six seconds to go to set the score at 59-55, and two more free throws by the Garnet with five seconds to go would set the final margin.
For the Shorewomen (4-2 Overall, 1-2 Centennial Conference)
- Jones (career high 17 points, four steals to tie for team best), Clark (14 points, four steals to tie for team best), Cramer (eight points), Quattro (team high nine rebounds).
- The Shorewomen shot 27.4% (17-for-62) from the floor in the loss, 42.9% (6-for-14) from three point range, and 78.9% (15-for-19) at the free throw line.
- Washington forced 23 turnovers, including 14 steals, and turned those turnovers into 18 points, while having 14 turnovers themselves.
For Swarthmore (2-3 Overall, 1-1 Centennial Conference)
- Bandurick (14 points, three steals, game best two blocks), Elizabeth Stiles (12 points), Tribus (11 points), Holmgren (eight points, nine rebounds).
- The Garnet shot 46.5% (20-for-43) from the floor in the win, 16.7% (1-for-6) from three point range, and 69% (20-for-29) at the free throw line.
- Swarthmore held a 39-32 advantage in rebounding, including 24-15 in the second half.
Up Next for the Shorewomen
12/4 v. Bryn Mawr - 6:00 p.m. (Centennial Conference game)
- Washington has won the last 23 meetings in the series, which they lead 46-1.