Carlisle, Pa. - - -The Washington College Shorewomen completed the 2019-2020 season with a 71-64 defeat at the hands of the Dickinson Red Devils (15-10, 13-7 Centennial Conference) on Saturday afternoon. The Shorewomen finished with a 10-15 overall record and went 7-13 in the Centennial Conference. Crystal Jones led the visitors with a game and career-high 21 points.
How it Happened
- Dickinson jumped out to an 8-4 start as Emily Padalino scored seven quick points for the Red Devils.
- Taylor Samuels hit a trifecta and then Emilee Cramer hit one of two free throws to even the score at eight with just over four minutes left in the opening stanza.
- Kate Deutsch scored on back-to-back layup to give the hosts a 12-8 advantage, but Samuels swished another triple just before the end of the frame to inch the Shorewomen within 12-11.
-Kate Mongomery scored the first two baskets of the second quarter to give Dickinson a 16-11 lead, however, Washington went on an 8-2 run to take a 19-18 advantage with 6:35 left. Crystal Jones scored all eight points, delivering on two three-pointers and a transition layup.
- The Shorewomen took their biggest lead of the half, 26-22, as Bridget McLaughlin drilled a long-range bomb from the top of the key at the 2:10 mark.
- The hosts outscored Washington by a 9-2 count the rest of the way to take a 31-28 advantage into the break.
- The Shorewomen charged out of the locker room and scored the first ten points of the third quarter to grab a 38-31 lead at the 7:05 mark. Samuels scored the first five points and Jones capped the stretch with a floater along the baseline.
-A long-range bomb by Jones spotted the visitors their largest lead of the day, 41-33, with 6:08 left in the third stanza.
- The hosts, however, outscored the Shorwomen by a 15-6 margin to take a 48-47 lead after three frames.
- Washington quickly re-captured the lead early in the final stanza as Jones converted two free throws and Caitlyn Clark stuck a trey from the right wing to make it 52-48 with nine minutes left.
- The Shorwomen still led 58-55 with 5:21 left after two free throws by McLaughlin but the Red Devils ran off eight straight points to take the lead for good, 63-58, with 3:29 left to play.
- Cassidy Quattro made one of two from the line to bring Washington within 66-64 at the 1:22 mark but the Shorewomen were unable to score again and Dickinson made 5-of-6 from the line to put the contest away.
For the Shorewomen
- Jones paced Washington with 21 points on 6-of-13 shooting and Samuels converted all five of her field goal attempts en route to 13 points. McLaughlin contributed 11 points and Quattro came down with a team-best six boards.
- The visitors hit 20-of-51 field goal attempts (39.2 percent), went 10-of-22 (45.5 percent) from long-range, and hit 14-of-23 attempts from the stripe (60.9 percent).
For the Red Devils
- Deutsch (17 points) and Emily Padalino (12 points) paced the Red Devils. Montgomery grabbed a game-high 10 rebounds.
- The hosts went 20-of-55 from the floor (36.4 percent), hit 4-of-18 from behind the arc (22.2 percent) and made 27-of-35 free throws (77.1 percent).