Kendall, Dudley each post 4 points in loss
CHESTERTOWN, Md. — Two straight goals from Jenelle Whitman broke an 8-8 tie as host Randolph-Macon defeated visiting #18 Washington College 10-9 this afternoon in a game played on Day Field in Ashland, Virginia. The Yellow Jackets improved to 2-3 with the win, while the Shorewomen dropped to 3-3 with the loss.
Randolph-Macon 10, #18 Washington College 9
How It Happened
- Senior attacker Carley Kendall scored an extra man goal just 33 seconds into the contest for the Shorewomen before the Yellow Jackets scored the next 4 goals, 2 each from Shannon Jamieson and Whitman, to build a 4-1 lead with 15:35 to play in the first half.
- The Shorewomen responded with back-to-back goals just 64 seconds later from junior attacker Katherine Vincent and freshman midfielder Cecily Docktor, both assisted by junior attacker Alli Dudley, to cut the lead to 4-3 with 14:31 to play in the half.
- The Yellow Jackets scored 2 of the last 3 goals of the half to take a 6-4 lead into halftime.
- Alicia Hsieh scored for Randolph-Macon just 36 seconds into the second half before back-to-back goals by Kendall cut the Yellow Jackets lead to 7-6 with 26:24 to play.
- After a Susie Snee goal made it an 8-6 Yellow Jackets lead with 24:23 to go, Kendall scored her fourth goal of the afternoon off an assist from Autumn Spence, followed by a goal from Dudley off a Vincent assist, to tie the game at 8 with 19:19 to go.
- Whitman then scored her third and fourth goals of the day, both unassisted, to make it a 10-8 Yellow Jackets lead with 3:35 to play.
- Dudley scored off of an assist from Vincent with 24 seconds to play to cut the lead to 10-9.
- Randolph-Macon won the ensuing draw control before Spence caused a turnover to give the Shorewomen one last possession, but a shot by Vincent as time expired missed high as the Yellow Jackets held on for the upset.
For the Shorewomen (3-3)
- Scorers: Kendall (4 goals, tied for game high), Dudley (2 goals, 2 assists), Docktor (2 goals), Vincent (1 goal, 2 assists), Spence (1 assist).
- Goalie: Madeline Mullen (10 saves, 10 goals allowed, 60:00)
- Freshman midfielder Caitlin Donovan tied for game high with a career high 3 caused turnovers and also scooped up a career high 4 ground balls
- Spence also set her career high with 3 caused turnovers to go along with her assist
-The Shorewomen turned the ball over 19 times and went 3-6 on their free position opportunities
For Randolph-Macon (2-3)
- Scorers: Whitman (4 goals, tied for game high, 1 assist), Hsieh (2 goals), Jamieson (2 goals), Snee (1 goal), Alyssa Chavez (1 goal), Alex Lightfoot (2 assists), Laney Dee (1 assist)
- Goalie: Allie Walker (6 saves, 9 goals allowed, 60:00)
- In addition to her goal, Snee also posted game highs of 6 ground balls, tied a game high with 3 caused turnovers and 6 draw controls, which tied with her teammate Jessie Cornbrooks for game high honors
- The Yellow Jackets outshot Washington 27-26, controlled 14 of the games 21 draws, held a 21-19 edge in ground balls and committed 22 turnovers. Each team caused 15 turnovers in the game.
Up Next for the Shorewomen
3/23 v. St. Joseph's (L.I.) - 7:00 p.m.